British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-12, 04:56 PM

Default 1949 Kings Crown Air Cadet wings

1949 Kings Crown Air Cadet wings
I just picked up something quite rare, so I figured I would share the pics with you all.
The first edition of the Air Cadet wings.
I have never come across anyone who has one, and in all of my searching of the web I had NEVER seen a modern day color photo of this badge. And now I can proudly mount this badge in my display case.

"
Air Cadet Flying Training Badge - Cloth 1949
The first flying training badge (wing) was authorized on 14th February 1949. The first presentation of this badge was made to those cadets who successfully completed course 3, held during July 1948. The presentations were made during Air Cadet Week, 6-13 July 49. To qualify for the award, candidates must have complied with the following:
A) Accepted by the RCAF for Flying Training Scholarship.
B) Flown solo.
C) Completed the required ground school course and 17 hours dual and solo flying.
D) Obtained an average of 60% or better in all ground subjects.
E) Obtained an assessment of 50% or better in flying.
Of the cadets from the Prairie Region (North West Air Command) only 63% met those conditions though most had earned their Private Pilots License.
Cadets from the previous two courses that met those conditions were presented or sent the badge at a later date.
The qualifying conditions for future courses changed in 1949 to:
A) Pass the qualifying examinations and be selected to participate in the RCAF Flying Training Scholarship.
B) Fly a minimum of 2.5 hours solo on Cub type aircraft or 1.5 hours solo on Tiger type aircraft.
C) Complete the required syllabus as laid down by AFHQ in both flying and ground schools.
D) Obtain a minimum of 50% in each ground subject and an average of 60% or better in all ground subjects. There will be no supplementary exams.
E) Obtain an assessment of 60% or better in flying.
F) Be recommended for the Flying Training Badge by the Chief Instructor of the Flying Club or by a RCAF examining officer.
The wings are a silver blue, the Tudor Crown, maple leaf and RCAC are in gold thread on a black melton background.
"
Old 09-01-13, 06:42 AM

so... i found out some bad news, the badge i have is a fake... sigh.... oh well... win some, lose some.
Old 09-01-13, 05:14 PM

What are the indicators that the badge is a fake or repro? Could you post a pic of the back of the badge?