British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-11, 11:30 AM

I have posted this before but it is a picture of Lancashire Rifle Volunteer pouch belt badge which I bought at auction. The Liver Bird at the top was present but had been the subject of a poorly executed repair in the past.To me it was certainly worth the cost of being repaired by a local jeweller.

I think the Blackmore Vale badge has also suffered because of a weakness between the body of the badge and whatever device was on the top.

I hope the museum will be able to provide an illustration of how the badge would originally have looked. I may well be proved wrong but it looks to me as if it is a crown that is missing and not a feather.

It is entirely possible that the Dorsetshire badge may be the only one still in existance so well worth restoring if at all possible.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge 2.jpg (45.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Badge 1.jpg (52.2 KB, 18 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-09-11, 12:08 PM

I've sent another email to the D&D Musuem to see if they do actually have an example of the badge or even a photograph or line drawing....will keep you all posted.

Thanks again guys
Old 26-09-11, 09:13 AM

Default Update from the D&D Museum

Just had an email from the D&D Museum, Dorchester. They have no photo's, sketches or examples of the badge - quote

"The only one I have ever seen is one that one of our ex volunteers (who now lives overseas) brought in to show after he had purchased it somewhere."

So, it looks as if the badge is fairly unusual and obviously pretty rare.

If there is anyone out there who has a particular interest in the Dorsets or wants the badge in its current state then please feel free to drop me an PM, I am happy to consider any offers.

Thanks for all your help with this one guys.
Old 20-08-16, 10:58 AM

Default Selling on Ebay Dorset Rifle Volunteers, Blackmoor Vale

Hi Guys

Been a LONG time since I've posted here - though I've been dipping in and out reading your posts!

Just a quick to all Dorset Regt/Dorset Rifle Volunteers collectors - I've made the decision to put the badge up for sale on Ebay - further streamlining of the collection!