British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-11, 04:38 PM

Oh well, I thought it was worth a mention.

Regards

Phil
Old 02-08-11, 05:05 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Picked up a fairly large oil painting ( measures 20"x24") of a major in the uniform of what I think is the Cameron Highlanders at a local antique centre this afternoon for about the cost of a couple of cap badges ( although when I see what some non military dealers ask for the occasional county regiment badge they come across,it is more like less than the cost of a couple of cap badges).

The painting seems to be reasonably executed ( I like it anyway ) and is signed Will Longstaff. The frame which is obviously original leaves a lot to be desired.

The item I was told came from a family in South Wales and although I know the chances of identifying the subject are very,very remote if any keen Cameron collector has an idea of who it might be, I would be very pleased to know. The rank crowns actually look like they may be queens crown.

Thanks in advance.

P.B.
nice oil painting so what wall lol

peter
Old 02-08-11, 05:47 PM

Whilst not wanting to hijack the thread, it seems a shame to start another when the subject is a painting. I have this picture, I love it but my wife hates it and thus it stands in the spare room. It is massive, and the subject is on the back, but it's not easy to get to so she'll remain anonymous for the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5955.JPG (51.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-08-11, 06:16 PM

I am pleased to be able to say that I have ( much to my surprise ) been able to persuade my wife to allow me to hang the painting of the Scottish Officer in the Living Room.

Tyneside your very nice painting was presumably a commission by the subject or her family,never fails to amaze me how families allow items like that to be sold off.Am I right in thinking the lady is a doctor going by the distinctive cloth between her rank lace.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”