British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-10, 04:57 PM

Default Royal Berks Reg WWI, In Hoc Vinces cross.

Hi Folks,

I am keen to identify a piece that a relative of mine was wearing when he was killed in action in France, 1918. He was a British signaller in the Royal Berkshire Regiment. On his uniform he had the RBR metal badge and a cyclist corps metal badge. He was however also wearing a small brass cross (Christian cross that is) with “in hoc vinces” inscribed on it. I have always believed that this was military issue (as told to me by my Mum) and was hoping someone here could confirm this one way or the other.

The cross is 40mm vertical, 23mm horizontal. Both sections are 6mm wide. It's brass, and fairly ordinary in looks and production; it certainly looks like a mass produced military piece more than a personal item he might have chosen to wear to war.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Christopher
Old 01-11-10, 07:26 PM

Hi Christopher,
Welcome to the Forum.
Any pictures of the badges you mentioned would be great.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 02-11-10, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

He was unlikely to have been wearing a Royal Berkshire regiment shoulder title and a cyclists cap badge at the same time. He may have transferred from one to the other however.
I have a sneaky feeling that the Berkshire S/T was not 'RBR' but 'Berkshires'.

Family history is often muddled over time. Have you his details such as Regtl number and it might be posssible tos ee which units are on his medal card.
Old 02-11-10, 07:16 PM

Hi Ho Folks,

Thanks for the replies.

Scan on the way ... the 21st C can be beyond me at times, but the good lady is more than capable.

Apologies for the confusion. He enlisted in the Chisledon Cyclists Corps then transferred to the 2/4 Royal Berks as a signaller, ending up in 61st Div, 184 Infantry Brigade, 2/4 Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, Company 'B'. So yes, highly unlikely that he continued to wear his cyclist badge after swapping over.

As far as I know, his medical card hasn't survived the years; but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers
Christopher
Old 03-11-10, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Christopher,

It will be his medal card that wil be in existance. PM me his full name and I will find it.

Alan
Old 05-11-10, 05:00 AM

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the tardiness, but here is the scan ...

Cheers
Christopher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross.jpg (39.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-11-10, 03:00 PM

Good afternoon Christopher,

The Latin on the cross:- "In Hoc Vinces", has been shortened from "In Hoc Signo Vinces" meaning 'In this sign thou shalt conquer'. Emperor Constantine on his way into battle is said to have seen a cross appear in the sky carrying these words. He had this sign and message painted on his standard and was victorious in battle.
Hence not a military issue emblem.

All good wishes,

Peter
Old 10-11-10, 05:04 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks Peter for the reply. I sort of figured that all along, but equally figured there was a chance as so many people joined up to fight for God, King and Country. As such, I thought that just maybe along with tin hat and gun, they issued each soldier with a cross; or maybe some smaller sections did.

I think the fact that no one has written in saying "yeah, I got one of them too from my Dad" etc, tells me that it wasn't common.

So, plan B would be to assume it was gift from his family and chosen because of its bland design and materials. So I shall take my search in that direction and see how I go ... unless anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers
Christopher