British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-05-14, 09:04 PM

Jack, was this lady by any chance the cousin (or some such relation) of Kurt Vonnegut? And was she the (unmarried) daughter of a man who owned a number of shops in Philly?

I was at the Louisville military show two months ago, and bought a number of helmet-plate centres and Australian/NZ badges from the collection of 'an eccentric spinster'. I wonder if it was the same woman?

Beautiful work on the formation signs. Must have taken many, many hours.
Old 02-05-14, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
The 55th (West Lancs ) example includes an red outer circle which was not included on the badges worn on uniform.

P.B.
This design - white disc with red border - is taken from the John Player's cigarette cards and as such may represent the 55th (West Lancashire) Division sign as portrayed on signboards and waggons etc. Mike
Old 02-05-14, 06:10 AM

Thanks Mike,

That is why I didn't say the design of the embroidered badge was incorrect .

Mike Chappell In "British Battle Insignia (2) 1939-45 " shows just the rose head being used as a vehicle sign in WW2 (page 44).

I don't know what was used as a vehicle sign in WW1 but some examples of the sign on old comrades association badges, grave markers etc. include the divisions motto "They win or die who wear the Red Rose of Lancaster " around the outer edge.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2608.jpg (58.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2609.jpg (69.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2610.jpg (72.4 KB, 22 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 02-05-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 07:47 AM

It's interesting that the 10 + 2 leaf version appears on the cigarette card and the 14 + 2 leaf version is on the Givenchy card. It would be good to find some contemporary photos of GS Waggons etc actually bearing signs of this period. This must be an ASC unit sign - Britannia? Mike
ASC WW1.01.jpg
Old 03-05-14, 06:00 PM

Uploaded yesterday http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2218

Andy
Old 17-05-14, 03:32 PM

Some additional formation signs from this collection. Thanks Jack

http://
Old 23-09-14, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodd Hill View Post
Jack, was this lady by any chance the cousin (or some such relation) of Kurt Vonnegut? And was she the (unmarried) daughter of a man who owned a number of shops in Philly?

I was at the Louisville military show two months ago, and bought a number of helmet-plate centres and Australian/NZ badges from the collection of 'an eccentric spinster'. I wonder if it was the same woman?

Beautiful work on the formation signs. Must have taken many, many hours.
I was looking over this today and seen your post. Yes this would be the same person. Cousin of Kurt Vonnegut, father had owned a full city block of downtown Indianapolis.
Old 25-09-14, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
It's interesting that the 10 + 2 leaf version appears on the cigarette card and the 14 + 2 leaf version is on the Givenchy card. It would be good to find some contemporary photos of GS Waggons etc actually bearing signs of this period. This must be an ASC unit sign - Britannia? Mike
Attachment 105231
Mike a nice little image ... it is the Army Mark of the 16th Omnibus Company (ASC) who also operated lorries per your image copy. Cheers, Rod