British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-16, 06:31 PM

Default WWI badge ID help

I wonder if anyone can help identify the badges on the left sleeve of this MGC chap, the large 'star' and the small one above? He served in the MGC from June 1917 and the last entry for him in the Army List is May 1920. WWI isn't my area so apologies if this is a kindergarten question!
His son served in 48 RTR during WWII.

Also, any indication from the group as to a date? I'm suspecting it's a post-war gathering of colleagues... Of the other men in the photo, two can be traced, far left = Lt W Eddings, Tank Corps and was on attachment to the Lincolnshire Regt. 2nd from right = G Prior of 2nd London Royal Fusiliers.

Many thanks.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LangstaffeCloseUp.jpg (90.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg LangstaffeGroup.jpg (68.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-11-16, 07:14 PM

Hello,

Its one of many similar MGC Company arm badges of crossed MG's with a seperate crown above, but dont know which one.

Its a cracking photo and even better badge.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-11-16, 07:58 PM

John ... as to date, it does seem that there is almost a total lack of WW1 medals, so at a guess sometime between the armistice and 1921 when medals started to be issued.

Ritchie.
Old 03-11-16, 08:21 PM

Smile MGC arm badge

Having looked through my copy of the MHS 2015 special "Machine Gun Corps First World War Flashes and Badges" the nearest I can see to this arm flash is the one illustrated on the front cover, 191st Machine Gun Company, 24th Division, dated 1917. This is not exactly the same as the one illustrate as this is worn by an other rank whereas the one shown in the photo is worn by an officer and appears to have something superimposed on the middle of the cross.

As Simon has said there were many different devices adopted by the Machine Gun Corps, often not recorded.

Rob
Old 03-11-16, 08:41 PM

Thanks very much for these replies, great stuff.
The date sounds good, thanks Ritchie, if his last Army List date is 1920, starting to look like a pals gathering in London (Lt Langstaffe came from the Richmond area and became a wine merchant after the war).
Thanks Rob, I'll dig out my copy of that MHS special, you never know when these things come in handy.

Sadly very little info from the family on his story, can you believe this pic was about to be binned!

Cheers
John
Old 04-11-16, 09:50 AM

John

The insignia is for the 24th Battalion MGC. The diagonal cross has a small representation of the 24th Div 4 pointed star badge in the centre and the small diamond above was in company colour.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24th Bn MGC.jpg (105.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-11-16, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
John

The insignia is for the 24th Battalion MGC. The diagonal cross has a small representation of the 24th Div 4 pointed star badge in the centre and the small diamond above was in company colour.

Mike
Superb, thank you very much Mike. Now to dig a bit into the 24th Bn, MGC's history.
John
Old 04-11-16, 12:20 PM

Follow 24th Division. Their histories will be in step, as (mostly) MGC Battalions took the number of the Division of which they were the Divisional Machine Gun Battalion.

Tags
mgc