British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-18, 09:45 AM

Good morning Harry.

I am researching the Durban Water Police, and understand that they were run by the Durban Borough Police pre-WW2, but that the Essential Services Protection Corps took over the function during the war years. I had never heard of the ESPC before, and wondered if you were able to provide any information which may assist me?

Many thanks

Frans
Old 28-09-18, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
I'm wondering if the Civilian Guard might have been renamed 'Civic Guard' during the course of the war. The name seems to crop up in 1943, '44 and '45. As the badge depicts the figure of Justice, perhaps the change was made after the CPS was transferred to the Dept of Justice in 1943. This is pure conjecture, of course.
Quite possibly. I recently came across this on the internet. It seems the Civic Guard was disbanded in 1949. The figure of justice badge appeared on the letterhead at the time so these badges must have replaced the earlier CPS ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CivicGdWw2.jpg (30.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 28-09-18, 05:40 PM

Thanks for posting the photo. If I read the certificate correctly, the chap's rank was called 'Guardsman'.

Arthur
Old 28-09-18, 10:37 PM

Affirmative. I bet that would ruffle some feathers in the Household Division!
I've previously seen wartime CPS members referred to as Constable and the Warrant Card looks like it says Special Const