British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-20, 01:20 PM

Where is this 12th East Suffolk, David ?
Old 20-11-20, 02:19 PM

Not very good with links ,but if you place Suffolk buttons in ebay it should come up
Also worth looking at Dead Spartan site Robbi Leigh -if anything of interest it may pay to wait for his sale 35-40% off He has these quite a few times a year
Long time collector and dealer
Old 21-11-20, 11:00 AM

Well, I have to assume, thankfully, that all of the badges I have shown, earlier, in this post, have been given a clean bill of health. I didn't doubt that those that came from David would be fine, and it now also seems that all those that came from Cultman Collectables, are all fine, as well. As I have said, previously, I'm thinking that having a matching pair of each badge will provide a much larger and more interesting display. So, I have ordered another one of the Edward VII badges with loops, another WW2 plastic badge and one more of the QC badges that it seems, were never actually issued. Cultman also have another 4 TA, which I didn't reorder because the flags don't look right, however, it does seem as if a lot of these badges are the same, stamping out tiddly little flags, like those, can't be easy.
Old 21-11-20, 01:39 PM

The WO catalogued per year - the monarch was only important when there was a change of crown or cipher.
However, loops persisted - eg units in India kept loops as they were largely wore side caps - vertical shanks were not easily worn on the SC. Also TF units often used loops after 1908 and again in the 1930s when side caps came back in fashion.
Old 21-11-20, 02:46 PM

Chris I have not response to my post10 not sure what this is Have you seen it in my album and gallery
David
Old 21-11-20, 06:04 PM

I have been advised that patience is needed, but, nonetheless, I'm still starting to think that, Suffolk, OSD, bronze cap badges, with blades, are rather thin on the ground. Although, of course, I do realise that there was never as many of those around, to begin with. I'm also probably making a rod for my own back, here, but if I ever do find any, I have decided that those marked J & Co would suit me best!
Old 21-11-20, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
I have been advised that patience is needed, but, nonetheless, I'm still starting to think that, Suffolk, OSD, bronze cap badges, with blades, are rather thin on the ground. Although, of course, I do realise that there was never as many of those around, to begin with. I'm also probably making a rod for my own back, here, but if I ever do find any, I have decided that those marked J & Co would suit me best!
There’s another maker of the OSD’s who fretted out the laurels, these are worth the wait too.
Old 21-11-20, 07:40 PM

Who was that then, Keith ?
Old 21-11-20, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Who was that then, Keith ?
I've just looked through all my reference pictures and unfortunately they're unmarked.

Some years ago I got hold of a lot of finished and unfinished OSD badges (no loops/blades and unbronzed) when the NAM had a clear out so I made a point of collecting auction photos of any regiments badges of those that I had in case I could identify the maker if they were unmarked of which the majority were. Most of the NAM stuff was Gaunt and Jennens who they'd bought out in the mid 20's.
Old 22-11-20, 09:10 AM

Many thanks, Keith, it does look as if I'll need to keep an eye out for superior quality unmarked items, as well as those marked J & Co. I have obtained several good quality ORs badges from Cultman Collectables, and they do have one Suffolk OSD badge, but IMO this does not really seem to be an officer quality item, or am I just being too fussy ?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:08 PM.