British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-10, 12:48 PM

Cool Bonus for badge collectors

I have just received my Military Historical Society journal for November 2010 and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of articles written on badges.

There is an absolute wealth of knowledge for the collector in this issue, it is worth joining the society for these articles alone when they appear.

www.militaryhistsoc.plus.com
Old 27-11-10, 07:21 PM

I have to agree with Sonofa, the Military Historical Society is well worth joining for all those with an interest in Military History that extends beyond just collecting badges.

For the annual subscription you get 4 copies of the Bulletin per year and a "Special Number " on a fairly regular basis. Recent Special Numbers have included " Directory of Rifle Volunteers","Uniforms of the Imperial Yeomanry"." Coloured Field Service Caps- Infantry " and others.

The Special Publication for 1997 was " Cavalry Warrant Officers and Non Commissioned Officers Arm Badges " by David Linekar and Gordon Dine

I can also recommend the Military Heraldry Society- there were a number of members of this Forum at the AGM at Derby last Saturday.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-11-10, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have to agree with Sonofa, the Military Historical Society is well worth joining for all those with an interest in Military History that extends beyond just collecting badges.

For the annual subscription you get 4 copies of the Bulletin per year and a "Special Number " on a fairly regular basis. Recent Special Numbers have included " Directory of Rifle Volunteers","Uniforms of the Imperial Yeomanry"." Coloured Field Service Caps- Infantry " and others.

The Special Publication for 1997 was " Cavalry Warrant Officers and Non Commissioned Officers Arm Badges " by David Linekar and Gordon Dine

I can also recommend the Military Heraldry Society- there were a number of members of this Forum at the AGM at Derby last Saturday.

P.B.
I'm going to take out a subscription. Do you know if back issues are available?
Old 27-11-10, 08:56 PM

Keith ,
The answer is yes, I hope the attached are legible.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MHS 1.jpg (75.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg img154.jpg (102.6 KB, 29 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-11-10, 10:43 PM

Smile MHS Journal

I should have mentioned when I first started this thread that the subjects covered in issue 242 were:

Badge notes- three pages answering queries on various badges.

Regimental badges in Malta-nine pages regarding badges on buildings.

WWI Btn patches for Foot Guards-five pages with colour illustrations.

Junior Division OTC 1908-1948-thirteen pages with notes on collars, titles and buttons.

Not every issue has this amount of articles on badges, but generally there are some items regarding badges or related subjects.
Old 28-11-10, 02:05 PM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Couldn't agree more. That article on Guards cloth badges was a revalation to me. Best fifteen quid I have spent in a long time.
Old 29-11-10, 03:43 PM

Not wanting to labour the point but my copy of the most recent MHS Bulletin arrrived this morning.

The notes on Junior Division OTC badge,buttons and titles by Professor Charles Thomas are excellent, adding considerably to the 1938 article by Ernest Martin in the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research ( Badges of the OTC ) which I think before now was regarded as one of best sources on the subject.

P.B.

Old 01-12-10, 03:24 PM

I've just sent in an application and will be buying some of the special publications from Peter's post as soon as I can.