British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-14, 03:54 PM

Default 2nd Lot of finds at the St. Lawrence Market

Good morning all,

Sunday was a good day, trip in to Toronto with the family and a little rummaging at the St. Lawrence Market. I ended up hitting the bank machine, which was not in the plan. I posted my Australian finds last night and am very pleased with my purchases.

I am looking for some help in dating and opinion on quality of the these three badges. I have included a fourth badge (DND Civilian Drivers) that is much later production. Dating it would be nice to.

Hope you enjoy my finds as much as I am.

Chris

PS I will also be posting cloth shooting patches that I also picked up.
Old 04-08-14, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Chris, Canadian Scottish badge is Scully marked so it likely dates to the wartime period. Les Voltigeurs is an early pattern qc badge. Sliders replaced lugs on qc badges circa 1960. The early Civilian Drivers' badge would date to the late 60's - early 70's. The blunt sliders were replaced by the tapered balloon sliders in the early 80's.
They all appear to be standard issue badges with the exception of the early Civilian Drivers. It is a bit of an odd one. Does it look like it may have lost a gilt finish?
Old 04-08-14, 05:14 PM

Hi Bill,

I'm thinking it might be patina or dulled copper. If you look at the top left Maple Leaf where is joins the triangle it has somewhat of a shine. Looking at the badge further; would it have been struck from the top (face) and enameled after. Also would the wheel be added later much like the officer's Artillery badge as a final component?

Chris

Tags
canadian scottish, dnd civilian drivers, les voltigeurs de quebec