British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-09, 09:56 AM

Default Please help a complete novice

My primary interest is not in badge collecting so I have barely come to grips with originals and restrikes, let alone fakes, and reading these pages has, frankly, put the wind up me. Living in rural New South Wales I have limited opportunity to see and touch and feel, and I have to rely on descriptions on the dreaded eBay. I am trying to put together the equipment/uniforms of North Somerset Yeomanry or Somerset Light Infantry - Boer and WWI.

I found these on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are they any good/worth it. And, what I am I really looking for? Any advice to a complete novice when it comes to badges would be welcome.

I notice people seem to be very coy on these pages about naming names - but providing just links (which often seem to be dead when us latecomers come across them) won't protect in the event of defamation - but in for a penny.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 30-10-09, 11:37 AM
Administrator

When searching ebay for original items you can modify the search criteria to add or remove certain sellers from the result.

The above vendor is one of those I remove.
Old 30-10-09, 11:41 AM
Administrator

welcome to the forum by the way !
Old 30-10-09, 11:43 AM

Hello Birdlip
Check the earlier threads!
Dave
Old 30-10-09, 11:59 AM
Administrator

There is now no easy route to being able to recognize the original from the copy I’m afraid. It takes years of experience and study, but as you go along this torturous route confidence creeps up on you, ‘till one day (seemingly all of a sudden) you know what you are doing, and it’s a very nice sensation.

New collectors who want to build a collection of original items could do no better that to start here with this forum. Through the generosity of its members (to which I for one am eternally grateful) there are many insights and hard won lessons explained and played out that will save you money and heartache. – It’s a degree course equivalent in ‘original badge recognition’, and it’s free.
Old 30-10-09, 12:02 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Mike,

When using sites such as ebay, you are always taking a chance but you can, on most occasions, get your money back if a mistake has been made.

I would not use the seller you have highlighted but his terminology is clear when describing, particularly, Helmet Plate Centres, he says it has two loops, don't touch it , unless the two loops are described as being two out of four.

Ask for photo's of the reverse, the Helmet Plate should have two large staple like hoops ( that's not going to guarantee it but it helps towards it being more genuine than one with two ' lugs ' ) and the centre should have four, or signs of four, see photo's, I believe the Scottish centres started life with only three.

I'm not an expert but this is the criteria I use, I hope this helps you in your search, good luck and enjoy the forum.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43 027.jpg (90.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 43 028.jpg (99.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 43 029.jpg (91.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 30-10-09, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

While you might find an original cap badge to either of those units on ebay, (bearing in mind 80-90% ofthe stuff on ebay is repro) the chances of finding a genuine helmet plate or centre is nil.
Old 30-10-09, 12:11 PM
L&BH

Hi Mike,
welcome among us!!
I also put this seller on my black list.

All the best
Phil
Old 30-10-09, 12:12 PM
L&BH

Oops sorry for the double post. Can someone delete it please? cheers
Phil
Old 30-10-09, 12:19 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
While you might find an original cap badge to either of those units on ebay, (bearing in mind 80-90% ofthe stuff on ebay is repro) the chances of finding a genuine helmet plate or centre is nil.
Alan,

I guess about 60% of my HP's & Centres collections must be repro's then ??

Dave.
Old 30-10-09, 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have invested in some books I have seen mentioned in these forums and am now enrolling in Badges 101.

Cheers Mike C.