British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-11, 05:50 PM

Default 'Buttons,badges and buckles' Blue Peter

I obviously have too much time on my hands.Watching TV when my mind wandered back to a Blue Peter appeal for 'Buttons Badges and Buckles'.
I can remember watching in awe as the presenters walked around the sorting tables manned by volunteers, if memory serves me correct ther were hundreds if not thousands of military badges among the treasures on the tables.
From memory all the 'good stuff' was auctioned off while the rest was melted down, not sure what they were collecting for?
Does anyone recall this appeal, it must have been in the early 70's and did anyone contribute or indeed attend a sale?
Regards Tony.
Old 05-02-11, 09:55 PM

Yes, indeed, I remember it. As a v. junior collector at the time I can remember being a bit on the jealous side!

Peter
Old 06-02-11, 04:23 PM
martin gregory

aye Tony i do. I was a sprog too then Peter. just mentioned it on the sas badge dating query earlier. must of been about 72/73? There was a collection in our school as i remember but it was just before i took an interest. As a 10 year old in 1973 I found a shop in Aston, Birmingham with loads of badges at 50p each, i bought quite a few, flogged a few at school then bought more when i innocently asked where they had come from John said he got a big sack from London from the Blue Peter Badge Appeal, heh. the re-strike reality dawned shortly thereafter.
Martin