British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-21, 03:33 PM

Default London Irish cap badges

I am after a London Irish Rifles WW2 era cap badge at some point to put together with a relatives insignia. No hurry, but I have seen white metal versions usually until finding a brass one yesterday. Any difference in era or anything else between brass or white metal?
Old 23-08-21, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

The WW1 ones were blackened brass and were worn alongside blackened shoulder titles. By WW2 era the badges were white metal and they were later worn in silver a/a.

The London Irish became a Battalion of the Royal Ulster Rifles who w/m badges as well.

Alan
Old 25-08-21, 12:48 PM

Thanks Alan, very helpful. I had been on the occasional look-out for a white metal one and will pick one up sometime, but was surprised to see a brass one and wondered why.

Do you happen to know the pattern of chevrons worn by the London Irish in WW2? I bought a lot of various WW2 stripes a year or two back and amongst them were green on black and black on green, but I've not yet found which were the correct type worn in WW2.

My Great Uncle was as Welsh as they come, so I'm not sure how he ended up in the London Irish! Here he is in all his glory. I have his original hackle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle Bryn Bartlett.jpg (38.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 25-08-21, 01:25 PM

I would suggest that green on black/rifle green are Rifle Brigade while black on rifle green are London Irish Rifles and as worn by the Royal Ulster Rifles.

Tim
Old 25-08-21, 04:20 PM

Default london irish

What was your great uncles name ? I have a book on the london irish and will see if he is mentioned.

Mark
Old 25-08-21, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I would suggest that green on black/rifle green are Rifle Brigade while black on rifle green are London Irish Rifles and as worn by the Royal Ulster Rifles.

Tim
Tim,have you got that the wrong way round ?
Black oñ rifle green - Rifle Brigade
Piper Green i think on black - Royal Ulster Rifles,then Irish Rangers then Royal Irish .
Old 25-08-21, 07:33 PM

Does this help?
Rifle Brigade WW1
Rifle Brigade 1960 pattern reduced size
London Irish WW2

Piper Green on Black was specifically introduced for the Royal Irish Rangers and successors in 1968

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 25-08-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 25-08-21, 07:45 PM

Sorted Tim
Old 25-08-21, 08:02 PM

Thank you gents. I have these stripes below, obtained in a large lot of various chevrons. Going by the photo above it would seem that the top chevron is the right type for WW2 battledress - black on dark green, and thinner than the bottom one. I know he got one stripe, not sure if he got a second. I have another photo and although you can make out the stripe there isnt enough detail to decipher the colours.

Mark, he was Bryn Bartlett. If he appears I'd be very interested, thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210825_205429.jpg (52.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20210825_205516.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 25-08-21, 10:55 PM

Default london irish

Hi Padre,

nothing in honours and awards from the book but I will keep looking. If I find anything, will let you know. The book is rare - The London Irish At War published by the London Irish old comrades association. Never seen another copy.

Mark
Old 25-08-21, 11:52 PM

Thanks Mark

He got no gallantry award, and I am not certain if he had one stripe or two by the end. But until he died he regularly went to London from Wales for reunions.
Old 26-08-21, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Thanks Alan, very helpful. I had been on the occasional look-out for a white metal one and will pick one up sometime, but was surprised to see a brass one and wondered why.

Do you happen to know the pattern of chevrons worn by the London Irish in WW2? I bought a lot of various WW2 stripes a year or two back and amongst them were green on black and black on green, but I've not yet found which were the correct type worn in WW2.

My Great Uncle was as Welsh as they come, so I'm not sure how he ended up in the London Irish! Here he is in all his glory. I have his original hackle.
Hi Padre,
What a coincidence my father in law was from the Rhondda and was working in London and decided to join up. He enlisted into the London Irish at Finsbury Park before transferring to 2nd Battalion R. U. R. I wonder if they knew each other.
Bantam