British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-12, 02:40 PM

Default Lanarkshire Yeomanry collar dogs

Did the LY have collars? I havnt found any in the books and dont remember seeing any. Colin
Old 23-07-12, 08:19 PM

Hello Colin

I'm not a yeomanry buff but, your question intrigued me, and I cannot seem to find a reference to LY collars either.
Fortunately, I know a chap who is a long standing collector of Scottish Yeomanry etc. and I asked the question.
He informed me that collars were worn certainly pre WWI and alledgely he has a Photo dated 1913 showing them in wear. The image is not clear enough to see the exact design, but apparently they were of similar size to the cap badge, and whether they were with or within the scroll, is unclear. I believe he has other references , but he is away at the moment, when he returns I will ask more.
I hope what I've stated in good faith is correct, and hopefully another more informed member of the forum will clarify matters further.
Rob
Old 24-07-12, 01:00 AM

Thanks Rob, I look forward to hearing more. It just struck me that when I was putting some L & Borders stuff together that I hadnt any LY collar dogs and it just got me into looking into my books. No luck so here I am. Colin
Old 01-08-12, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
Thanks Rob, I look forward to hearing more. It just struck me that when I was putting some L & Borders stuff together that I hadnt any LY collar dogs and it just got me into looking into my books. No luck so here I am. Colin
Hi Colin

Finally I think I might have some answers for you.

There is apparently a new book 'Uniforms of the Yeomanry Cavalry 1901 -1914' by Robert Smith & David Knight, which on page 122 has a picture of a church parade of the LY in 1913, and O/R's in Blues wearing Collars. No image available at this time.
Furthermore, the attached image is of Capt. W.M. Tower in SD wearing 'Bronze Cap badge & Collars with gilt crown & claws'. This is from the published series of 'The uniforms of the British Yeomanry force 1794-1914.
No.10 The Yeomanry Force at the 1911 Coronation.

Why this and one other officer is in Khaki SD on this occassion I really do not know?
It appears the answer is yes Collars were worn.I trust this may help you.

Regards
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanarkshire yeo 001.jpg (89.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-08-12, 11:59 AM

Just got my copy of the book. I see the picture and it looks like the collars are the same size of the cap badge. I have to find one of my period jackets and see what a cap badge looks like on the collar and compare it to the picture. If its true that would explain why there arnt any smaller sixe collars around. Officers is probably similar if you look at the pic of Capt Tower.
The LY at the time of the picture were one of the few Yeomanry Regts to comply with the regulations and used khaki uniforms and I guess that they thought khaki was good enough? Does seem strange though. Maybe his luggage got lost on the train???
Colin
Old 02-08-12, 08:30 PM

Hi Colin,

Reference the photograph from Smith and Harris (1988): The badge worn by Capt. Tower, Lanarkshire Yeomanry can be found in Bloomer (266). Bloomer does not specify what badge was worn between 1909 - 1913 (photo was 1911), but the same pattern badge was also worn from 1953 - 1956. It might also be the case that this pattern was worn only by officers and the OR's had a different pattern badge. The well known double-headed eagle with scroll (KK 1430) was worn from 1914-1953 with a collar badge of the same pattern (31mm x 33mm). I have included a link to show the uniform worn by Lt. Col. J. Fasson, Lanarkshire Yeomanry (155th Field Regt. RA) after his ordeal in a Japanese POW camp after the fall of Singapore. This uniform features this collar badge.

Link: http://www.fepow-community.org.uk/page_2.pdf
(the picture was taken with a lo-res camera)

Cheers,

Gaz
Old 02-08-12, 09:49 PM

Default Lanarkshire Yeomanry Collar badges

Hi Colin

Collar badges were also worn on the Lapels of the officers' mess kit towards the end of the LY as we know it. They were similar to the black and gilt ones shown in the 1913 photograph. I will try to forward a picture.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 03-08-12, 02:12 AM

Hi All,
Here is a scan of part of a pamphlet re an exhibition of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry displayed in Lanark Library in 2008.
The following is a write-up of the book pictured. Hard to see but John McEwan appears to be wearing LY collar badges.
Cheers, Tinto

As John McEwan, a young Gunner in the 155th (Lanarkshire Yeomanry) Royal Artillery Regiment sailed down the Clyde in early 1941, he and his colleagues could never have imagined the horrors that lay ahead. When John and his Regiment landed in Malaya, they were all hugely confident. This evaporated in utter disbelief as the British were totally out-manoeuvered by the Japanese advance culminating in the capture of Singapore. However there was hard fighting, more than generally credited, and John McEwan found himself in the thick of it. In the event, the author was one of the few to survive the horrors of prolonged captivity and mistreatment. This is his extraordinary story, told with humility and pride, which he dedicates both to those who slaved, suffered and died in brutal conditions of the Kinkasaki copper mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LYpamphlet.jpg (52.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg LYpamphlet1.jpg (62.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Tinto; 03-08-12 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 04-08-12, 04:43 PM

Default Lanarkshire Yeomanry collar badges

Hi Colin

Collar badges were worn on the officers' mess kit

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanarkshire Yeo Officer's Mess Kit.jpg (17.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-01-17, 08:30 PM

Default Lanarkshire Yeomanry collar badges

Whilst the double- headed eagle badge of this Regiment isn't, of course, new, I do have a well-made(NOT A/A), modern pair of 'Firmin' marked black and gilt collar dogs, with 'north and south' loops and a pin and on triangular brass, backing plates. The badges in appearance and size, look very similar to those shown on the mess dress, helpfully, illustrated.

I've assumed that these were 'the last vestige' worn by successor squadrons of the much altered, Scottish Yeomanry whilst the cap badge remained, SC or even of one of The Corps. In my experience, mixing badges like this isn't an uncommon feature of Yeomanry dress with the ever-changing OsoB.
Maddeningly I recently had (literally) at my fingertips, some recent history 1990s > suggesting support for this theory but have since lost it!
But - unconfirmed, conjecture, so still a bit of a mystery..
Old 08-06-17, 11:26 AM

Default I think I have found the collar tabs

Hi all I think I have found a set of elusive collar tabs for the Lanarkshire regiment please see pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6495.jpg (48.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6497.jpg (71.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-07-21, 07:07 AM

These appear to be off the horse furniture, nice but not collar badges in my opinion.
Cheers
Mike
The Quartermaster
www.qmsmilitaria.com
Old 28-07-21, 08:13 AM

I think these are the modern new metal collar badges referred to in post 10.
JSP768 Description: Badge, Organisation, Collar. All Ranks. B (Lanarkshire and Queen's Own Glasgow Yeomanry) Squadron. Gilding metal. Black and gold finish. NSN 8455-99-869-1701 Pattern No 27996

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (82.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 28-07-21, 06:38 PM

Very nice, slick mick is after a pair of these if memory serves me!
Cheers Mike
Www.qmsmilitaria.com
Old 28-07-21, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quartermaster View Post
Very nice, slick mick is after a pair of these if memory serves me!
Cheers Mike
Www.qmsmilitaria.com
He isnt,theyve come up in our conversations. It would appear they are pretty scarce even though they are pretty recent.