British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-21, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
Steve Bosley has one for £1,500.00 on Regimental Badges
A bargain

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 06-07-21, 07:17 PM

Default RMLC

I suspect somebody thought it was the real deal.
Old 08-07-21, 08:32 AM

Default RM Badge

With regard to requests for additional information. I have had the badge for a while now in my spares box, it came with a large lot of E Bay badges mostly repro but a couple were not and there was a particular one I wanted. I often buy job lots hence the need to have a sort out and list my Odds and sods on E Bay. I am not a dealer !!

As for the price realised I was as amazed as most people and I hope the buyer is not disappointed ?
Old 08-07-21, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhittle View Post
With regard to requests for additional information. I have had the badge for a while now in my spares box, it came with a large lot of E Bay badges mostly repro but a couple were not and there was a particular one I wanted. I often buy job lots hence the need to have a sort out and list my Odds and sods on E Bay. I am not a dealer !!

As for the price realised I was as amazed as most people and I hope the buyer is not disappointed ?
You were very honest in your description and the buyer cannot have any comeback on that score.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-07-21, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Alas it’s a standard RM/RMLI cap badge, apparent from the laurel voiding, which has had the crown/bugle cut away and the ship from a fake RMLC badge attached. Finally an overly long brass strip (or cut down slider) has been added as strengthening.
No, it isn’t. It’s much more interesting than that.
Old 13-07-21, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to create that badge. I wonder what Mr, Whittle bought it as originally? Did he believe it was real and paid a lot of money also.

His honesty in his description is to his credit and actually with the final price hasnt turned out half bad for him.

Lets see how long it is until it turns up on a dealers list as 100% genuine for £500. !!!
Someone had taken a huge amount of trouble, that’s why I bought it and it won’t be appearing on a dealers list.
Old 13-07-21, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
I suspect somebody thought it was the real deal.
Not quite
Old 13-07-21, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhittle View Post

I’m not, even as you say it’s a fake.
Old 13-07-21, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
You were very honest in your description and the buyer cannot have any comeback on that score.

regards
He certainly was.
Old 13-07-21, 10:23 PM

I saw this badge a few years ago and it really got under my skin. The die used for the ship and globe is one I have never seen before. I have a genuine example and several restikes and the die matches none of them.

It is a Frankenstein’s monster made from two badges. The ship, waves and globe from one badge. However these parts have been brazed on top of another globe that has the laurels. The second badge, the globe and laurel bit, is also an unusual die, it is not an altered cap badge but probably an early collar badge. The whole thing has then been polished and coloured to make it look like one badge.

It is genuine, no. Is it a fascinating thing worth £260, two of us thought so, although I wish the under bidder hadn’t, knowledge isn’t free and I’m happy with my purchase.
Old 13-07-21, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
No, it isn’t. It’s much more interesting than that.
I beg to differ the boat is clearly from the Martin Marsh fake die due to the wave pattern moving up the ship.
Old 13-07-21, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I beg to differ the boat is clearly from the Martin Marsh fake die due to the wave pattern moving up the ship.
See my post no25. Whilst the waves come up the side of the ship the design of the waves across the top of the globe is different to both Marsh’s one and the genuine ones I’ve seen. I’m glad you enjoyed the article I wrote on this badge a few years ago.
Yours
John
Old 13-07-21, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1664 View Post
See my post no25. Whilst the waves come up the side of the ship the design of the waves across the top of the globe is different to both Marsh’s one and the genuine ones I’ve seen. I’m glad you enjoyed the article I wrote on this badge a few years ago.
Yours
John
We appear to have crossed posts and posted exactly at the same time. I found it a very insightful article thank you.
Regards,
Luke
Old 03-08-23, 01:06 PM

I totally get what you mean about not being a dealer; it's more about the joy of discovering unique items and sharing them with others. And yeah, that surprising price realization can leave you in awe! I hope the buyer who got the badge cherishes it as much as you wanted it.
Old 03-08-23, 01:57 PM

I totally get what you mean about those random badge finds. It's always exciting to stumble upon something unique in a lot of mixed items. And hey, don't worry about being mistaken for a dealer – it's all part of the hobby! As for the price realization, yeah, it can be surprising sometimes. Hopefully, the buyer will cherish the badge as much as you did. Fingers crossed! Speaking of random finds, I recently discovered this hidden gem in Rotherham while searching for a Mortgage Broker in Rotherham. I'm new on this forum and just wanted to say hi and share my little adventure.

Last edited by Rickuda; 09-08-23 at 02:38 PM.