British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-21, 09:45 AM

Question Commemorative or Fundraising ?

An 'impulse' buy , although damaged it caught my eye.

The inscription “DOING HIS COUNTRY’S WORK” is similar to Boer War commemorative items referencing a quote from Rudyard Kipling.

The badge (22mm) is marked STERLING on the reverse and R.D. 641136.

Found a photo of another badge from the same period (pic 3) , anyone got any information ?

Will probably move it on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doing F.jpg (26.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Doing R.jpg (39.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg God save.jpg (65.6 KB, 50 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 27-05-21, 11:21 AM

Mike,

Although relating to The Great War I wonder if there is a connection with Jack Cornwell VC, the design reminds me of the somewhat romantic images of his exploits shown in the press of the time and this may have been seen as an evocative image to use on patriotic badges of the time by the badge maker.

Simon.
Old 27-05-21, 11:26 AM

Hi Mike
Just one bit to add:
the RD number I think, relates to late 1915.

Cheers, Tim
Old 27-05-21, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Mike,

Although relating to The Great War I wonder if there is a connection with Jack Cornwell VC, the design reminds me of the somewhat romantic images of his exploits shown in the press of the time and this may have been seen as an evocative image to use on patriotic badges of the time by the badge maker.

Simon.
That definitely seem likely , this card seems to confirm it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Cornwell.jpg (73.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 27-05-21, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi Mike
Just one bit to add:

Cheers, Tim
A quick check confirms that but if it is based on Jack Cornwell VC then it would have to have been designed/manufactured after his death on 2 June 1916. (He first joined HMS Chester on Easter Monday 1916)

Q:Were RD numbers issued from January to December or at another point in the year ?

Old 27-05-21, 02:10 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Hi Mike
Just one bit to add:

Cheers, Tim
Actually late 1914. The 1915 RD numbers begin at 644935. The RD numbers appear to have been issued throughout the year and not just the beginning or the end. One has to be careful because the RD number gives the registration of the design patent and badges of similar design can bear the patent number but actually be manufactured in a later year. It is possible therefore that a patented design has been slightly modified to commemorate the bravery of Jack Cornwall.
Cheers
James

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 27-05-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 27-05-21, 02:55 PM

thanks James, was typing and googling at the same time. The wife says I can't/shouldn't do 2 things at once!

cheers, Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Actually late 1914. The 1915 RD numbers begin at 644935. The RD numbers appear to have been issued throughout the year and not just the beginning or the end. One has to be careful because the RD number gives the registration of the design patent and badges of similar design can bear the patent number but actually be manufactured in a later year. It is possible therefore that a patented design has been slightly modified to commemorate the bravery of Jack Cornwall.
Cheers
James
Old 27-05-21, 03:25 PM

I have no problem doing two things at the same time. For example, I can sleep and breathe at the same time!
Old 27-05-21, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
The 1915 RD numbers begin at 644935.

It is possible therefore that a patented design has been slightly modified to commemorate the bravery of Jack Cornwall.
The British Library has 1915 starting at 642,613 but what's a couple of thousand between friends .

I think you are correct about patented designs being slightly modified as the other badge I posted a photo of has the exact same design number.

Old 28-05-21, 10:30 AM

Hi all

That talk of the RD numbers has led me to again post my mystery badge that clearly shows an enamel version of the Derby Scheme armband.

It has an RD number that could be either: 655797 or 653797. The RD number is in raised numerals and not incuse meaning that this was stamped into the hammer head as the badge was struck. No maker's mark or even initials.

Just waiting for some kind-soul to be prepared to visit PRO and look up the Board of Trade folders. Oh, there's a bit of dosh in it too!

The Forum has been so good in the past that it would be nice if someone can advance a theory on what the badge might be for or who might have worn it. Presumably it post-dates the Derby Scheme or ran alongside it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dgbadge1.JPG (25.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-05-21, 10:38 AM

Oh, and re your badge. I've seen an oval gilded red, white and blue enamel effort with a chap knocking out shells with some legend of "Doing His Bit" around the outer.

I would think yours is one of those patriotic badges that were sold in aid of the war effort.

One point to note is the slight hollow-backed reverse. This, I'm told, has the effect of bringing up detail on a badge with some depth and detail and also, with a silver badge, allowing it to be made of slightly thinner material.

The flaked enamel would suggest that there wasn't a lot of thickness anyway....
Old 28-05-21, 11:18 AM

Either one of the numbers would be 1916......so I guess it is 1916. As for its use, I would have no idea.
Cheers
James
Old 28-05-21, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all
That talk of the RD numbers has led me to again post my mystery badge that clearly shows an enamel version of the Derby Scheme armband.

The Forum has been so good in the past that it would be nice if someone can advance a theory on what the badge might be for or who might have worn it. Presumably it post-dates the Derby Scheme or ran alongside it.
The badge is a bit if a 'mongrel' , the scheme was officially called the Group Scheme but soon became known as the Derby Scheme . Posters from late 1915 show both names being used so it is possible your badge mixed both names and ended up as the Derby Group.

The Derby scheme did not run for very long (1 year ?) as conscription was introduced , so it's possible the badge was made for officials overseeing the scheme.

Old 29-05-21, 06:56 AM

Hi Mike and James

I've posted this badge several times and at last we seem to be getting somewhere!

I'd thought that it might be Derby Group but nothing seemed to have cropped up under this heading.

The key is possibly that RD number but I contacted PRO who wanted about 40 nicker just to look for the number!

There must be other examples lurking around somewhere but, while I do like a mystery, I also like to know.

Cheers and thanks!