British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-18, 12:27 PM

Again, get over it.
Old 29-12-18, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Again, get over it.
Unbelievable response! A real credit to your former regiment.
Old 29-12-18, 12:57 PM

What can I say other than calm down and please refer to my last? ( Sitting in a moving vehicle on the M25 combined with lack of interest prevents me commenting further).
Old 29-12-18, 01:23 PM

The soldier in question was incorrectly dressed, his OCs actions would ensure that he wasn't incorrectly dressed in the future. Or do you think that it would be acceptable to wear another units headdress (think maroon berets, green berets and sand coloured berets) - I think there might have been a bit of an outcry if he'd turned up wearing a maroon beret to which he wasn't entitled - in this case it happened to be a black beret.

Another way of dealing with the matter would have been to have charged the soldier for being incorrectly dressed. Ask the soldier in question - what do you imagine would have been his preferred outcome ?

Just another way of looking at it. I know in the Light Infantry the correct beret to be worn was the Rifle Green beret, if a soldier had turned up wearing an AGC Green beret or an Int Corps green beret the incorrect beret may have met a similar fate.

Perhaps it's just a robust infantry solution that other units don't understand ??

PL
Old 29-12-18, 01:29 PM

Quote:
What can I say other than calm down and please refer to my last? ( Sitting in a moving vehicle on the M25 combined with lack of interest prevents me commenting further).
Then please stop commenting! You flatter yourself that you think we are not calm. I think it's more disbelief that you thought your tale was either funny, relevant or respectful.

Your responses afterwards show that you are aware of your boo-boo, but are not man enough to apologise, just resorting to telling us to "Get over it".

As a tankie, I try to 'get over it' each day fella.

You have made you look a fool, so you don't need to respond further.
Old 29-12-18, 01:32 PM

My thoughts exactly, down to the alternative action being a charge.
I'm not sure why people feel free to come charging at me all guns blazing with aggressive sarcasm and apparently spoiling for an argument, and I do find the incident that I witnessed amusing but I will express sorrow and disappointment that they feel so offended.
And now having posted this reply and read the above post, Little Willie all cranked up and charging ahead all guns blazing, I again resort to "Get over it".
Old 29-12-18, 01:37 PM
MarkGD

A soldier's humour is always the darkest! How else would you get through it without going mad!
Best Regards Mark

(PS i won't tell you what we did to lost/found other regiments berets) #esprit de corps, #regimental rivalry, #craphat #who's the best!
Old 29-12-18, 02:06 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, down to the alternative action being a charge.
I'm not sure why people feel free to come charging at me all guns blazing with aggressive sarcasm and apparently spoiling for an argument, and I do find the incident that I witnessed amusing but I will express sorrow and disappointment that they feel so offended.
And now having posted this reply and read the above post, Little Willie all cranked up and charging ahead all guns blazing, I again resort to "Get over it".
Can't help yourself, can you? For one who claims 'lack of interest' it appears you're struggling to 'Get over it'!

Your further attempts at disrespectful digging and now the introduction of name-calling (Little Willie, indeed!) demonstrate the futility of trying to reason with you further.

Pity really, because the Fusiliers, of which you claim to be a former member, are a cracking bunch of lads!
Old 29-12-18, 02:25 PM

To see the terms Chav Cav and Peoples Cavalry used to describe members of the Royal Tank Regiment is disappointing, the former, appears to me, at least, to be rather inappropriate at best, the latter, suggests that the regiment and it's members are somehow different to their cavalry counterparts, moreover, it might imply, depending upon who uses that term, that the cavalry is somehow superior.

Can someone please explain these terms?
Old 29-12-18, 02:33 PM
MarkGD

[QUOTE=Can someone please explain these terms?[/QUOTE]

Really? Regards Mark
Old 29-12-18, 02:35 PM

That would certainly be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGD View Post
Really? Regards Mark
Old 29-12-18, 02:45 PM
MarkGD

Ok, here goes. The british army was formed into regiments, based on geographical location which later developed into regiments based on roles. Each regiment had it's own identity based on this. Each regiment was trained to believe it was the best in it's own field, to the detriment of 'All' other regiments! Over time disparaging remarks were utilised by the soldiers to describe other regiments to note their own superiority of being. Many titles were and are still around, see if you can identify the regiment by these titles:

Drop shorts, Bleeps, Hats, Rob all my comrades, Rusty Cars & Trucks, Dunkin Donuts, Green Slime, All girls corps, Weekly ration! to name but a few.

All to build esprit de corps within regiments to get the soldiers to perform as one.

Regards Mark
Old 29-12-18, 02:49 PM

Smile

Frank

within the British army (and particularly the Cavalry and Royal Armoured Corps), due to their relatively short history and their lesser inclination to recruit their officers from a certain class, the RTR are commonly referred to as "The Peoples Cavalry" or "Chav Cav" - the implication being that they lack a certain "style" and heritage that other "Proper" Cavalry Regiments display.

The RTR counter this by referring to themselves (tongue in cheek or otherwise) as "The Men In Black" (MIB) a bit of a nod to the Will Smith film of the same name but also a reference to the black coveralls, black webbing belts, pullovers and berets that they sport.

A saying pretty common amongst (particularly) officers of Cavalry Regiments when speaking with officers of other regiments is to say "If you ain't Cav, you ain't" implying that if one is not Cavalry one is nothing.

There is a certain conception within the British army that Cavalry officers are slightly inbred and decorative individuals without a great deal of intellect - indeed some years ago whilst I was working at Catterick Garrison when the Scots D G were the resident RAC Training Regiment I heard one of their junior officers described as "being so thick that the other officers actually noticed"

It's known as banter and is a common feature of British army humour to consider one's own regiment to be superior to other units.

When I first joined the army I was advised that if I couldn't take a joke then I shouldn't have joined - a sentiment that others would do well to consider.

Ultimately, you all know and recognise that the truth is that only the Light Infantry (and latterly The Rifles) are "Chosen Men" and by default superior to every other "mob" in the British army.

PL
Old 29-12-18, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
To see the terms Chav Cav and Peoples Cavalry used to describe members of the Royal Tank Regiment is disappointing, the former, appears to me, at least, to be rather inappropriate at best, the latter, suggests that the regiment and it's members are somehow different to their cavalry counterparts, moreover, it might imply, depending upon who uses that term, that the cavalry is somehow superior.

Can someone please explain these terms?
Hi Frank, the term 'Chav Cav is just a harmless bit of banter between RAC regiments (what's left of them!) It's just because the younger RTR is considered to lack the panache and historical flair of the older former cavalry regiments.

In response, the RTR refer to them as the 'Donkey Wallopers', etc. Just non-offensive name-calling.
Old 29-12-18, 02:53 PM

They are fondly disparaging elitist cavalry regiment references to the RTR. Used in similar fashion to "The Woodentops" for the Guards, "The Budgies" for RRF "The Queen's Last Resort" for the QLR, ""The Shop" for RMA Woolwich,"Slime" for Interest Corps, "Soft and Squeaky" etc......
Almost invariably taken in good humour by serving soldiers (unless used with obvious deliberate intent to start a physical fight) and by those who have been soldiers though it would appear that some of the latter can be a little tetchy nowadays.