British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-18, 03:31 PM
LYPAO Boff

The MGC (Cavalry) Squadron, in the 7th Cav Bde, consisted of 8 officers and 203 other ranks, equipped with 299 horses, 18 limbers, 1 GS wagon and 1 water cart. These were formed up into six two-gun sections each of a Subaltern, 33 men and 46 horses. The Squadron was commanded by a Captain or Major.

MGCC 7th Squadron formed on the 29th February 1916 for the 7th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division and was broken up on the 14th April 1918.

MGCC 8th Squadron formed on the 29th February 1916 for the 8th Cavalry Brigade in 3rd Cavalry Division, it moved to 7th Cavalry Brigade on the 11th March 1918.

So..... did the Household Cav' members badge under the Guards MGC cap badge?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 07-12-18, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Thank you GriffMJ, what is a C/A date ?
C/A is part of the reference number for the clasp and roses, following on from "i.v." (issue voucher).
Old 07-12-18, 06:30 PM

Default Guards Machine Gun Regiment.

The Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed in June 1918. 1st Life Guards became 1st Bn. G.M.G.Regiment, 2nd Life Guards became 2nd Bn. G.M.G.Regiment, the Royal Horse Guards became 3rd Bn. G.M.G.Regiment and the Guards Machine Gun Battalion became 4th Bn. G.M.G.Regiment. Also, the Guards Machine Gun Training Centre became 5th(Reserve) Bn. G.M.G.Regiment.
Old 07-12-18, 06:38 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed in June 1918. 1st Life Guards became 1st Bn. G.M.G.Regiment, 2nd Life Guards became 2nd Bn. G.M.G.Regiment, the Royal Horse Guards became 3rd Bn. G.M.G.Regiment and the Guards Machine Gun Battalion became 4th Bn. G.M.G.Regiment. Also, the Guards Machine Gun Training Centre became 5th(Reserve) Bn. G.M.G.Regiment.
Thank you

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 08-12-18, 12:51 AM

I should think his record from Combermere should clear things up. I obtained my grandfather's about 20 years ago when the museum was still in Windsor and you could just pop in and enquire. I was able to see his name in a ledger from when he joined up. He enlisted in 1918 into 2LG.
Is it still general opinion that when the Household Cavalry element gave up their horses to become GMGR they retained their cap badges-the Footguards Guards Machine Gun Battalion being the only ones to change to the Guards Machine Gun Regiment badge? I hope that the case as a GMGR badge is out of my price range. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-18, 09:17 AM

Not conclusive evidence but I have a photo of a group of 2LG men wearing LG cap badges and s/t's and "MG" arm badges, posing with a Vickers gun.
Old 08-12-18, 11:47 AM

Default Next step Combermere Barracks Archive !

Thank you all again, I am now doubting my original view on which of my ancestors this was !

All I know for sure is that this man was very important to my Great Grandmother, as his photograph was kept carefully with other family photographs by her, and then by my grandmother.

I will apply to the regimental archive for my ancestor's records, and post something when I hear from them to let you know what I have found.
Old 08-12-18, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I should think his record from Combermere should clear things up. I obtained my grandfather's about 20 years ago when the museum was still in Windsor and you could just pop in and enquire. I was able to see his name in a ledger from when he joined up. He enlisted in 1918 into 2LG.
Is it still general opinion that when the Household Cavalry element gave up their horses to become GMGR they retained their cap badges-the Footguards Guards Machine Gun Battalion being the only ones to change to the Guards Machine Gun Regiment badge? I hope that the case as a GMGR badge is out of my price range. Regards, Paul.
That is the received wisdom, but I have never seen evidence: difficult to prove a negative.
Equally frustrating is LG NCOs rank badging in the mixed Household MG units. If, as I suspect, they retained the royal crown for ALL NCO rankings, what fun for the poor soldiers addressing them.The OP photo is surely not LG ....... no crown visible.
Old 08-12-18, 04:37 PM

A pleasure, to be sure, they were all magnificent soldiers, do let me know how you get on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
Thanks for this, I have got the form to complete and request a search of the archives for more information.
Old 08-12-18, 04:46 PM

Very clearly the man in the photograph is a serving Sergeant in, or seconded to, the Guards MG Battalion, are you suggesting the man in the photograph is not William Durrant and it might well not be, given post thirty seven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
That is the received wisdom, but I have never seen evidence: difficult to prove a negative.
Equally frustrating is LG NCOs rank badging in the mixed Household MG units. If, as I suspect, they retained the royal crown for ALL NCO rankings, what fun for the poor soldiers addressing them.The OP photo is surely not LG ....... no crown visible.
Old 08-12-18, 05:41 PM

They are, in my opinion, at least, certainly rather overpriced these days, I dare say there would have been a sizable quantity leftover, in the box, after disbandment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I hope that the case as a GMGR badge is out of my price range. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-18, 07:55 PM

The 1911 census gave his occupation as "Trooper, 2nd Life Guards".

This man can only be LG if he gave up the crown over his Corporal-of-Horse chevrons, which I believe unlikely
Old 09-12-18, 03:37 PM

I think it is very telling that the rank given in WO329 is also Trooper.

Quote:
The 1911 census gave his occupation as "Trooper, 2nd Life Guards".

This man can only be LG if he gave up the crown over his Corporal-of-Horse chevrons, which I believe unlikely
Old 09-12-18, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think it is very telling that the rank given in WO329 is also Trooper.
Not quite sure where we are on this ............. all I am saying is that the man in the OP is highly unlikely to be serving in LG at the time of photo.
Old 09-12-18, 04:31 PM

Very clearly, a Trooper, is just that and certainly not a non commissioned officer.

Quote:
Not quite sure where we are on this ............. all I am saying is that the man in the OP is highly unlikely to be serving in LG at the time of photo.