British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-18, 07:32 PM

Default WW1 / WW2 Cap Badges

Apologies for what might seem like a daft question but metal badges are not really my field. When browsing at them, some are described as WW1 and some as WW2 yet in Kipling and King they are the same pattern in most instances. Is there a general rule of thumb to determin WW2 badges? I notice a big difference in crown shapes too.
thanks
Paul
Old 20-11-18, 07:36 PM

By way of example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1.jpg (44.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg WW2.jpg (36.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 20-11-18, 07:57 PM

The only daft question is the one that is never asked. Unless there were different patterns, see for instance the Black Watch whose badge changed in the mid 1930s, then WWI and WW2 badges are identical. Differences between various badges of the same pattern are generally down to different makers. There are no differences in the various King's crowns. Quite a few sellers advertise their badges as WWI to suggest additional rarity and drive up the price.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 20-11-18, 08:11 PM

Thanks Thomas, suspected as much. Are there any rules of thumb for WW2 OR cap badges, i.e tapered sliders, crimped sliders, etc.?
regards
Paul
Old 20-11-18, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Are there any rules of thumb for WW2 OR cap badges, i.e tapered sliders, crimped sliders, etc.?l
The only significantly distinctive WW2 OR badges are the economy plastic ones, equally, single metal versions of bi-metal or unvoided RE, RA and RASC economy badges are dated WWI, otherwise there is not much to go on besides changes in cyphers or patterns. Remember badges were issued "while stocks last".

Rgds, Thomas
Old 20-11-18, 10:03 PM

Paul,

IMO there is very often a difference between WW2/50’s era sliders compared to ‘earlier’ ones.

However it’s not so much a science sadly but rather connoisseurship and what you feel is right or likely to be right after getting your eye in.

If you study and compare the sliders on genuine WW1 1916 GMs, war raised units - certain Pals, Tank Corps, MGC etc, Yeomanry that didn’t survive post 1920, the South Ireland regiments etc you get a picture of what sliders were like WW1-1920s.

Compare the above with known WW2/50s sliders on war raised cavalry, Glider Pilot Regt, any of the genuine large font J.R.Gaunt London marked badges etc etc and you can see the differences.

That said as always there’s the exception to every rule!

Good luck,

Luke
Old 21-11-18, 10:44 AM

As Thomas notes, it is daft. You would have to go through every unit to see when they changed patterns - and even then, there are variations. The unit I collect to had three basic capo badges; 1896, 1926 and 1950 (then disappeared in 1958). But yes, Luke notes various technical aspects that appears over time. For examples sliders first appeared in 1906 but loops reappeared in the early 30s !
Old 21-11-18, 06:18 PM

Thanks folks, some useful pointers here. I guess rather than finding examples that are 'WW2' I should just be focussing on avoiding fakes and restrikes.
cheers
Paul