British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-18, 07:30 AM

Default Green circle sign: NZ Cavalry?

I have got in my collection a 1943 dated NZ battledress blouse sporting two green circle signs, which should be related to the 2nd NZ Division Cavalry. Still in Malcolm Thomas' and Clifford Lord's publication the sign of the 2nd NZ Divisional Intelligence is given as an Emerald Green Circle. The BD blouse was not provided with New Zealand titles, so I had to add them. So could the blouse be related to the Divisional Cavalry or the Divisional Intelligence, according you your advise? thank you in advance and all the best, L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD_2nd_NZ_Div_Cavalry_2.jpg (75.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BD_2nd_NZ_Div_Cavalry_3.jpg (65.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 26-10-18, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
could the blouse be related to the Divisional Cavalry or the Divisional Intelligence?
Given that the jacket is dated 1943 if the patch is a WW2 one it would be 2NZ Div Int.

There is another alternative of what the patch could be for. Battle dress jackets such as this remained in use well into the early 1970's and it was not uncommon for WW2 stocks to be found in use well into the 80's.

In the 1960's Circular Coloured patches 1½ inch in diameter were worn on the top sleeve of Battledress and when Service Dress was introduced just below the Corps Shoulder Title, these patches were discontinued in the mid-1970’s. The patches were;

Combat Brigade Group – Black
Logistic Support Group – Red
Combat Reserve Brigade group – Green
Static Support Force – Blue
Old 26-10-18, 09:56 AM

I have emailed Malcolm Thomas who collects NZ patches. When he replies I will post on here. Hopefully he can tell us.
Brgds
Cliff Lord
Old 26-10-18, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I have emailed Malcolm Thomas who collects NZ patches. When he replies I will post on here. Hopefully he can tell us.
Brgds
Cliff Lord
thank you Cliff, will be looking forward to your reply!
Old 26-10-18, 08:36 PM

Loupie1961,

Malcolm Thomas sent the following email:

Tricky with old faded patches but I only have the green worn by Div Cav and it looks the same.
Emerald Green was only worn by Intelligence in WWII so are very scarce and I have never seen a period sample of the cloth in this colour.

Malcolm.

Please note the 1963 Field Force green patch is 1 and a half inches in diameter, which I think is the same size and the WW2 Type 1 circular patches. They were reduced to 1 and a quarter inches if I remember correctly for the type 3. What size is yours?
It has been nearly a quarter of a century since I studied these patches with Malcolm but I can contact him if you want further clarification on the sizes.

BRgds
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
thank you Cliff, will be looking forward to your reply!
Old 27-10-18, 03:14 AM

We can def rule out the 1963 patch being sewn on to the BD uniform as apparently it is a lighter colour according to M.T.
Rgds CL
Old 27-10-18, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
We can def rule out the 1963 patch being sewn on to the BD uniform as apparently it is a lighter colour according to M.T.
Rgds CL
Thank you so much, Cliff, therefore I stand reassured. After all, the seller advertised as a WW 2 NZ Divisional Cavalry BD blouse and in the event this has been confirmed.
Old 27-10-18, 08:09 PM

A pleasure. FYI the WW2 NZ cloth patches are very hard to find these days.
Quicksilver