British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-11, 07:05 PM

Default Calgary regiment

Hello,

Just a question as I have never seen one like this before. Does this badge exist like this or is this one missing the GM overlays ?

Albert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galgary_Regt.JPG (58.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by appie_b; 19-10-11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 19-10-11, 07:26 PM

Hi Albert, I think it's missing the overlays IMHO.

Greg
Old 19-10-11, 09:20 PM

Default Calgary Regiment badge

Could very well have been a badge modified by an officer or a bandsman to wear with No. 1 Dress. I wouldn't dismiss to readily.
Wyn
Old 19-10-11, 10:29 PM

Well, without any provenance that this was a bandsman's badge or some other specially modified badge, I would not treat it as anything other than a Calgary Regiment badge minus it's overlays. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for a badge that is 3/4 missing.

If you're looking for a Calgary Tank badge without overlays, I have one that is already half the way there (and it's Scully marked)
Old 21-10-11, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I will give this one a miss then.

Albert.
Old 22-10-11, 01:29 PM

Certainly a pass for me on this one. I have seen a few lately in the offering that are missing the sunburst overlay.

I heard it mentioned that this was done due to the fact the sunburst surmounted the crown which was a no-no. I thought it a rather made up story to try to sell a damaged badge.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 22-10-11, 03:44 PM

Thanks Pylon1357,

I was interested in the badge as I hoped it could be a variation. I am putting together a frame with Canadian badges for all the regiments that took part in the liberation of Ede and the Veluwe (the Netherlands), the Calgary Regiment played a big part in this, as did the Irish Regiment of Canada (Otterlo) ,so still looking for that one.

Albert.
Old 22-10-11, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Certainly a pass for me on this one. I have seen a few lately in the offering that are missing the sunburst overlay.

I heard it mentioned that this was done due to the fact the sunburst surmounted the crown which was a no-no. I thought it a rather made up story to try to sell a damaged badge.
I wouldn't buy that story either. Although no element of a badge should be higher than the Crown this did not apply to backgrounds. In this case the sunburst is easily accepted as a background and does not violate the 'rule'..
Old 23-10-11, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I wouldn't buy that story either. Although no element of a badge should be higher than the Crown this did not apply to backgrounds. In this case the sunburst is easily accepted as a background and does not violate the 'rule'..
Actually, the sunburst is/was a violation of the 'nothing above the crown' rule, and I've seen that remarked on in several references (one quoted). However, I believe the Calgary Regiment was allowed a relaxation/dispensation (just have to remember where I read that, now).

"The first cap badge of the Calgary Regiment was inspired by the Coat of Arms of the City of Calgary. The sunburst violated custom, however, in that the sunburst was above the Crown. When the Regiment was redesignated as King's Own after the Second World War, the offending sunburst was removed." (army.ca)

Be that as it may, logically, if the the story about removing the sunburst overlay in an attempt to comply with heraldry was true, then most, if not all, Calgary Tanks badges should be missing the overlay. They aren't, ergo bollocks. Mine came from a vet from Sicily to war's end, and it's gloriously intact.
Old 23-10-11, 11:27 PM

Man, over $180 for a badge missing pieces. Guess it was a good story.
Old 23-10-11, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Actually, the sunburst is/was a violation of the 'nothing above the crown' rule, and I've seen that remarked on in several references (one quoted). However, I believe the Calgary Regiment was allowed a relaxation/dispensation (just have to remember where I read that, now).

"The first cap badge of the Calgary Regiment was inspired by the Coat of Arms of the City of Calgary. The sunburst violated custom, however, in that the sunburst was above the Crown. When the Regiment was redesignated as King's Own after the Second World War, the offending sunburst was removed." (army.ca)

Be that as it may, logically, if the the story about removing the sunburst overlay in an attempt to comply with heraldry was true, then most, if not all, Calgary Tanks badges should be missing the overlay. They aren't, ergo bollocks. Mine came from a vet from Sicily to war's end, and it's gloriously intact.
I am curious about the "nothing above the crown rule" given that fusilier and grenadier badges exist with a crown, but the flames are above the crown.
Does anybody know more about that?

Phil