British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-11, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
Troopers with work dress and regular black berets with Ram tanks in England training.
Hi Mike,

Would you consider allowing these images to be used in an upcoming book "The Compleat Ram - Canada's Pride" which Service Publications hopes to print in 2013?
This hardcover book will run 200+ pages and will cover all aspects of thew Ram and its variants and derivitives.
If you agree I would need 300DPI scans.

Thnx,
Clive
Old 02-09-11, 10:03 PM

Default Pictures

Thanks for the correction, I lost the ebay id number, so I thought they were in England.
Old 02-09-11, 10:04 PM

Default Pictures

Some more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram tank 3.jpg (50.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ram tank 5.jpg (53.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Ram tank 8.jpg (44.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Ram tank 11.jpg (42.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-09-11, 10:54 PM

Default titles

Hi Bill,

Interesting question. I never really thought about the timelines between placing the orders and receiving the items. I would think that the Bevo's were a temporary or expedient measure to get them going and that better quality Melton titles were what was desired. It is obvious from Col. Churchill's correspondence on the matter that he though locally procured items would arrive quicker. But that actually wasn't the case.

We know that the orders for the 1000 cap badges from Gaunt and shoulder titles( from a weaving mill in Heeze that escapes my memory right now) were ordered in November but didn't arrive/get distributed until February. The woven silk titles were made on rolls and they must have received several thousand titles at least (Unit Strength in Feb. was just under 500 and each man received (avg) three pairs, with many veterans still having some unused singles and even "lengths" of uncut titles.

There is a receipt for the Melton shoulder titles arriving in June but no record of when or with who the order was placed. From the above timeline, it is possible an order for the Melton was done around the same time as the woven ones?but a regular order may have taken months to make and ship. Mid December 44 to Mid June 45 when the regiment was disbanded is only 6 months. It might have taken that long for the order to be completed and find the unit?

All regimental insignia for the 1CACR was procured and paid for by the regiment, none was army issue and none was returned to army stores, all the leftover was divvied up and brought home by the men and officers. Col. Churchill was giving away cap badges/collars/shoulder titles and history booklets away as late as 1973. Lots of unissued badges are out there somewhere.

Next week a whole new set of Kangaroo collectables will be available at our reunion and Guidon presentation ceremonies in St. Thomas. A lapel pin that is miniature cap badge, about the same size as a collar (but cannot be confused with a collar) has been produced as well as a pin representing the Kangaroo stencil that was painted on some vehicles and we produced a limited run of pewter coins (numbered 001-200, about 100+ are already spoken for) all we be available next week in St. Thomas in exchange for donations to the Elgin Regiment Foundation. Anyone here interested in these may contact me by email.
Old 26-09-11, 02:20 AM

Default 1 CACR Cap Badge Find

Hi guys,
I recently picked up this badge in an antique shop and am looking for a second, or third opinion. I forgot my loupe and my eyes aren't what they used to be but it looked good to me so I bought it. I have my doubts about it as I have not seen an example of this construction. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 518.jpg (56.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 521.jpg (76.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 522.jpg (41.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 523.jpg (43.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-09-11, 04:19 AM

Default Officer's Bronze badge

Hi Brent,

You hit the jackpot with this find. This is (albeit a tad worn/polished) the rare bronze officers variant, die cast, not struck, hence the odd characteristics on the back. When issued this would have a been a beautiful dark chocolate brown. Still a very nice badge, if you're looking to get rid of it I'd be glad to give it a home.

At the recent Kangaroo reunion, Lt. Harry Tatchell was wearing his bronze badge on his blazer lapel and his Brass badge on his beret.

What part of the country are you in? A great find. You should ask the antique dealer if there is any other items that go with this badge (like the collars!)

Bill.
Old 27-09-11, 04:19 PM

Default How about this one

Officers variant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CACR3.jpg (79.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg CACR1.jpg (70.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 27-09-11, 04:59 PM

Default yes.

Unusual in that it has the screw posts. I would guess added postwar or at least post manufacture, as these are typically seen with lugs the same the brass ones. Also have seen with a pin back as well.
Old 27-09-11, 07:30 PM

Default Oficers variant

My camera does not take good in close pictures, I will try again tomorrow to get a good picture of the post. The screw posts are molded to the badge, not added later.
Old 28-09-11, 12:27 AM

Default Officer's Bronze badge

Bill,
Thanks for your input. I'm really happy to add this to my collection as I don't have an officer's. I couldn't believe it when I spotted this in the case with a bunch of other cheap badges. I really started to think it was too good to be true. I actually bought a enlisted man's version a couple of weeks ago from a guy who found IT in an antique shop. It just goes to show you that there are still a few diamonds in the rough!
Old 29-09-11, 02:27 PM

Default Officers capbadge

Here is the back, the screw posts are moulded to the badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CACR4.jpg (65.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg CACR5.jpg (66.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 29-09-11, 04:22 PM

That type of screw post and nut is typical of William Scully's badges.
Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Phil
Old 29-09-11, 05:25 PM

Default interesting.

I still think this is a (very expert) postwar modification. Perhaps done by Scully or a jeweler in Canada? (several officers came from the Montreal area). The originals of this type have the lugs cast in as well and from the appearance of your badge, particularly the bottom post it appears the post was attached to or made from the stump of the old lug.

This would certainly make the badge easier to mount on a forage cap. Of those badges with lugs, the lugs are very short. When I took the badge off Maj. Binghams' cap, getting it back on and fastened with the retaining pin was a struggle to say the least.

The original order for these badges was fulfilled by Gaunt in England. The bronze badges were made in a very limited quantity in January 1945. No receipt exists in the WD for the exact quantity, but at the time there were only 30-34 officers in the Regiment and not all officers received this badge. In fact the bronze badge was not adopted for wear with OSD by any of the officers I have personally documented, including the CO, the 2i/c and a Squadron commander, they preferred the brass. But that is not to say others, post disbandment/post war did not wear their bronze badges, enough "worn" badges have turned up now to indicate otherwise.