British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-21, 05:09 PM

Okay, but, what a bloody good result, hopefully the notices you put up made a certain person think about what they had done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Yes !

1. 30th December - Signed for as delivered by postman @ 14.35
2. 31st December - I checked pigeon holes @ 07.00 , not there.
3. 31st December - Checked with Sorting Office @ 10.00 , confirmed it was delivered.
4. 31st December - Put up notice about "missing mail".

5. 2nd January - After over 48 hours letter (which had been torn open) turns up in my pigeon hole.

If it was taken by mistake , why so long to return it ? Also , why not either knock on my door or put it through my letter box ?

So , yes I think it was stolen and when I put up notices that Police had been informed the thief got cold feet and returned it but did not want me to know who it was.

Old 03-01-21, 05:47 PM

In case people haven't seen my other thread , this is the item in question .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 03-01-21, 06:16 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Pleased to see that you got the medal returned to you. However, it is sad that someone felt it was okay to take it in the first place. Your own actions are to be commended and deservedly brought the ‘right result’.
Cheers
James
Old 03-01-21, 06:29 PM

Glad you received it. Certainly an item which Royal Mail’s compensation could never replace.

Was it opened or still sealed when you got it back?
Old 04-01-21, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Was it opened or still sealed when you got it back?
As you can see , it had been opened and that is exactly how it was returned (to a 'public area') with no attempt made to secure it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mail 1.jpg (30.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Mail 2.jpg (28.6 KB, 32 views)

Old 04-01-21, 08:53 AM

Hi Mike

I'm sure I speak for more than one or two here when I say that I'm really glad you got your item.

I've lost stuff (not much so far) and usually been paid back but it's not the money, as you say.

So you get back 25 quid, or whatever, but that is easily spent on food and petrol. We are collectors in the final analysis.

Oh, by the way the next person who tries to blame their half-pie excuse for third rate service on Covid had better watch out as I will be carrying a cudgel!
Old 04-01-21, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Such is not limited to just Royal Mail, it's awful here in the US. I mailed a package to Montana from Tennessee on 11/9 and it still hasn't left the local sorting center. News reports say there are hundreds of bags of packages that sit unworked. It is so bad in some locations that they have had to rent storage space jut to put the unworked mail bags!

Terry
Absolutely! Have had a packet from a member sent a month ago and still nothing. USPS have had a 1st class packet languishing in PA for well over a week. Took six days to get a packet from LA to SF.

CB
Old 04-01-21, 04:34 PM

Re the opened package with the medal. Possible that who ever got it opened it to see if it was something of value that hey might keep or want. But not really knowing what it is decided to send it on. Just a thought.

CB, still no change on my Montana package, and I was lucky to find out I only have 60 days to file an insurance claim, which I'll do. But as with the medal the contents are very special - a small piece of the Hindenburg, a piece of fabric from Howard Hughes Spruce Goose, plus lots of other rare aviation relics.

Terry
Old 04-01-21, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Re the opened package with the medal. Possible that who ever got it opened it to see if it was something of value that hey might keep or want. But not really knowing what it is decided to send it on. Just a thought.
I doubt it , why not simply knock on my door and say "sorry we opened this by mistake" also why wait 48 hours to return it ! I think it was fear of police involvement .

Old 05-01-21, 09:06 AM

From your earlier post, I think it would be case of the person concerned actually explaining why he/she stole it from your mailbox in the first place, surely that was not a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I doubt it , why not simply knock on my door and say "sorry we opened this by mistake" also why wait 48 hours to return it ! I think it was fear of police involvement .