British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-10-10, 08:17 AM

Default Painted economy badges

Dear Staffsyeoman.

Very good point about where would or indeed "did" the metalic paint come from as it is quite clear that this operation took place for certain requirements from 1944.

Perhaps, and this is only a guess. That is why only one manufacturer namely Alfred Stanley & Sons Ltd did the actual spraying out of some eleven who were involved in plastic badge manufacture from 1942 to 46. Stanleys did all the spraying on behalf or all the manufacturing companies.

Paints were available at this time as the motion picture industry used spay paint in great quantities for scenery etc. And if I remember from my early days most paint was lead based !!!!!!!

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Old 06-11-10, 09:11 PM

I have an old friend who is ex Duke of York, ex R Sigs and ex RNZSigs. Ended up a WO2. Jim Dove tells me the following: I wore the bakelite badge on and off until 1952 when I returned to blighty. (he had been in Malaya)
I would say they were finished by 1953/4 not to sure about that
will take a closer at some pictures I have
Quicksilver
Old 06-11-10, 09:55 PM

Default Gilt painted Economy badges

Adding a bit more to an earlier post- I also have a silver painted GS Corps, and this week I bought an OSD bronze Suffolk Regt collar bade (as cap badge but lugged) which had been painted with a light grey paint. At a distance it looks silver. I knew this when I bought it so it wasn't a nasty surprise.

lastly, a fact:-
28.05.49. ACI 477: Scale of issue of metal cap badges for the Active Army increased from one to two for each OR. All plastic badges held in stock returned to RAOC. This extended scale did not apply to the TA, but the plastic badge in possession was to be replaced by metal in all cases.

Stephen.