British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-21, 05:14 PM

Seaforth 5 Bat ww2-era
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3160.jpg (101.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3161.jpg (104.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-05-21, 05:15 PM

Tyneside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.jpg (77.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3163.jpg (95.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-05-21, 05:16 PM

London
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3164.jpg (103.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3165.jpg (114.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-05-21, 10:44 PM

The 4/5 R. Scots is a phony, and I believe that Cameron Hldrs. is as well. The 5th Seaforth is a cast badge, not the normal die struck. I don't know if it is period or not.

CB
Old 06-05-21, 06:38 AM

Thanks CB!

Question to all: As to the Seaforth bat badge, I too noticed it being cast - does that automatically mean it is a reproduction badge or could it still be a period ww2-era badge?
Old 06-05-21, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
Thanks CB!

Question to all: As to the Seaforth bat badge, I too noticed it being cast - does that automatically mean it is a reproduction badge or could it still be a period ww2-era badge?
It does appear to have age to it and the replaced lugs look like older styles. It is not a typical "reproduction" so to say.
Old 06-05-21, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
The 4/5 R. Scots is a phony, and I believe that Cameron Hldrs. is as well. The 5th Seaforth is a cast badge, not the normal die struck. I don't know if it is period or not.

CB
With regard to the Cameron I have this strike and had considered it correct. St Andrew has a distinctive look, like he's been on the sauce for a couple of years - very bloated, heavy lidded eyes and a nose that's exploded. Not a pretty sight! I feel though that I've seen this particular strike on period photos, but I cannot recall where and of course that could have been entirely wishful thinking and interpretation on my part.

CB could be quite right that it is dodgy, I'm just proffering another angle as I hadn't considered it so.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cameron 1.jpg (106.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 06-05-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 08:32 PM

Regarding that Cameron, the rough reverse and the style of lugs and their placement very high up are red flags for me. Off hand, I don't recall any such badge being offered for sale as genuine by good dealers either. That face and those feet are quite laughable; hard to imagine being accepted by the regiment.
I would have to doubt that this badge could be discerned in old photos unless it was very close and clear indeed.
As always, none of this is empirical evidence, but....
CB
Old 07-05-21, 05:38 AM

I think the 4/5 Seaforths is ok. I have one which came from a good source.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 07-05-21, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Regarding that Cameron, the rough reverse and the style of lugs and their placement very high up are red flags for me. Off hand, I don't recall any such badge being offered for sale as genuine by good dealers either. That face and those feet are quite laughable; hard to imagine being accepted by the regiment.
I would have to doubt that this badge could be discerned in old photos unless it was very close and clear indeed.
As always, none of this is empirical evidence, but....
CB
I realize that who is and who is not a respected or 'good dealer' has been challenged on here recently, primarily because a couple of the old guard / retiring dealers are now listing one or two fakes on their online platforms. This has been discussed in a number of recent threads.

However, quickly using the 'search' facility on some of the respected and erstwhile respected seller sites (not eBay), as well as two of the newer sellers, I quickly found that 5 of them have this particular Cameron Highlanders strike for sale. One of them is also a respected member of the Forum.

Of course that fact doesn’t make the badge right, we’ve already established that some respected dealers are perhaps now not as respected as they once were and I do agree he is one boozy looking saint, but certainly it is being listed.

Thinking about it, I now feel I saw this particular strike displayed at Fort George indicated as WW2, though of course memory does play tricks. Especially mine.
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 07-05-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-05-21, 08:33 PM

The Cams looks good to me.

Personally I wouldn’t go for the 4th/5th Seaforts either, it’s cast from a genuine badge and does have some age to it but... when and where it was cast precisely? *dismounts hobby horse*.

Nice 4th pattern Tyneside Scottish, shame about the loops!
Old 08-05-21, 10:23 AM

Just to summerize so far:

Unlike most of the other threads I have started the opinions are somewhat more divided here:

With 5 Seaforth being cast some think original others questionable.

Cameron Highlanders some think original (Luke H, Dubaiguy), cbuehler thinks it is not original.

Royal 4/5 Bat is a reproduction according to cbuehler.

Except for Tyneside none of the other badges have been discussed - Can I conclude from that, that those badges are all original????

Can anyone please confirm or deny cbuehler's opinion on the 4/5 Bat Royal Scots?

Can anyone shine any further light on the Cameron Highlander badge and that of 5 Seaforth please?

Thanks!

Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 08-05-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-05-21, 05:09 PM

Luke- 4th patt Tyneside Scottish- Are there maker variations of this badge? If not, what do you look for? Regards, Paul.
Old 09-05-21, 05:35 PM

Yes two good makers variations that I’ve seen, both shown here in this post: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...20&postcount=7

The above variant is somewhat scarcer and always a nice deep strike. I did have good pictures I’d saved from Geoff Newman’s website when he sold one but due to the chaos that is my phone’s album sadly cannot find them.

The more common 4th patterns type can be found on loops, hex lugs and pin back where the one here I’ve only ever seen on loops which are positioned fairly high up the badge.

Last time I counted I think I’ve got about 5 of these searching for the ‘perfect’ one. Clearly I have problems!
Old 09-05-21, 06:12 PM

Thanks Luke, I see I posted in that thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...eside+scottish
The badge I show is now giving cause for concern, though it is similar to the 1st posted by Andy P. Mine though seems to have a sort of hatching between the upper left thistle and the saltire. The line base of the tower doorway is also faint. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 09-05-21 at 06:23 PM.