British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-21, 05:47 PM

Default Red cross & QARNNS nurses 1940

Hi there,

Here are two pics extracted from the photo album of a nurse assigned in a RN auxiliary hospital in 1940.
Could you please confirm if these nurses belong to QARNNS, and are dressed according to QARNNS regulations?
I would also be interested if some of you could share with me closer views of the armband some of these nurses wear on their left arms.

Thanks in advance,
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A8F2B0C-AC3F-4A41-AA0C-E98ADD20D3DD.jpg (64.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg F9B360B0-A7BA-4F94-95BC-7A2F0A6223A9.jpg (81.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Lemataf; 21-04-21 at 07:55 PM.
Old 21-04-21, 06:10 PM

The pictures are of British Red Cross VAD nurses in service at an RN Station.

They are not QARNNS nurses.

The armband is blue with a crowned VAD Mobile embroidered badge. Here is a link to the badge in question: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=77096

Last edited by Milmed; 21-04-21 at 06:16 PM.
Old 21-04-21, 06:14 PM

Hi Milmed,

Thank you for your reply. Well noted.

There are actually other pics in same album showing a few QARNNS ladies, for sure, reason why I was asking. Don’t know anything on red cross nurses clothing.

Cheers,

JD
Old 21-04-21, 06:17 PM

JD, Two very interesting pictures for sure. They are VAD nurses, and not QA's.

Their attire in the second picture are wearing standard VAD veils, and some with a VAD arm band (blue with the Mobile patch). The red cross on the bib tells us they are BRCS VADs.

The other pictures does seem to be the VAD uniform which was dark blue.

Hope this helps,

Terry
Old 21-04-21, 06:20 PM

Terry,

Thank you for the additional information provided.

I will double-check this album, as there is one pic on which the album owner, definitively wearing red cross clothes in most of the pics, seems then to wear a Wren jacket (TBC).

All the best,

JD
Old 21-04-21, 06:24 PM

JD, The VAD uniform does look a lot like a WRNS uniform. Scroll down in this link tot he picture of the 3 ladies and the one in he center is wearing the VAD uniform.

https://www.qaranc.co.uk/voluntary-aid-detachment.php

Happy to help,

Terry
Old 21-04-21, 06:55 PM

Terry,

This link is great, thanks!

Will have a look at the album tomorrow again, and maybe share a few more pics.

Cheers,

JD
Old 21-04-21, 07:13 PM

JD,
Both photos show Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) members of the British Red Cross Society (BRCS).

In the first photo, the first and third members wear BRCS uniform, as worn by BRCS VADs and wear the BRCS Three Year Service Medal on the right breast of their jackets. The member closest to the camera, wears a BRCS cap with BECS ribbon, Whilst these are BRCS VADs, they might not be nurses; VADs carried out a range of different duties including clerical, catering, dental and various non-nursing medical.
The second and fourth members appear to be BRCS nurses. They both appear to be wearing grey dresses, but without their aprons, and have what looks like VAD Mobile badges on their left cuffs, albeit just visible.

The second photo shows a group of BRCS VAD nurses (and possibly a Pharmacist or Medical Officer - the woman in the front wearing the tie).
On their left arms they wear the VAD Mobile badge on an armband. The 'red cross' on their aprons signifies they are BRCS nurses.
They are not QARNNS, but are all BRCS and dressed in accordance with BRCS regulations for VADs at that time.
Hope this helps.
George
Old 21-04-21, 07:23 PM

George,

Many thanks for these explanations.

I am attaching one more pic copied from same album with HRH the Queen and an identified matron (2nd from right).
Does she belong too to BRC too, asking as I would have classified her as belonging to QARNNS?

Cheers,

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34097A89-983F-446E-9B8E-5D3E97E25142.jpg (55.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 21-04-21, 07:39 PM

JD,
The matron is QARNNS. She wears a QARNNS tippet, belt buckle and cuffs.
George
Old 21-04-21, 07:53 PM

George,

Great, finally one!

See please too this other pic from same album. Same to me (QARNNS), for top right nurse, correct?

Cheers,

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B056F2DD-CCF4-441B-9526-ABA43BF7518D.jpg (42.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 21-04-21, 08:56 PM

Hi JD,
Yes, she is either a QARNNS Sister or Senior Sister judging by the tippet and what looks to be a white cuff on her left arm. It's not easy to tell when no insignia is displayed.
The Red Cross nurse at the front by the handrail, with the red bands on her sleeves, is Leading Section Leader, I think (I've just been looking for my box of dress regs, but can't find them; I moved them about two weeks ago and now can't see them).
George
Old 21-04-21, 09:06 PM

Thank you again George. Looks like this RN auxiliary hospital was staffed mainly with BRC nurses, with a few ones from QARNNS.

All the best,

JD
Old 22-04-21, 03:54 AM

I have a slightly different take on the QA at the top right of the stairs. I think she is a QAIMNS or if later, a QARANC as her tippet looks to be red (shows as a lighter color than dark blue in B&W). The QARNNS wore a dark blue one, and I think I have seen a picture of a lighter blue with a thin red line (maybe a Reservist?). If we could see her tippet badge we'd know better, but I can't see it - maybe old eyes.

The other nurses are VADs with standard and unique VAD veils, and the one at front left with the dark arm band is wearing her Mobile VAD armband with her sleeve rolled up over part of it. The one at front right without the Red Cross on her bib could be an SJA Vad as they wore a plain bib, but could also be a BRCS Vad just wearing a plain bib. Also the SJA VADs wore a grey dress, while BRCS wore a light blue one.

Just my thoughts after looking at the picture.

Terry
Old 22-04-21, 05:47 AM

Hi Terry,

Wow, I am learning a lot exchanging with you all. Didn’t even know about QARANC etc ... and this brought me to discover interesting web publications like following one: https://www.qaranc.co.uk/qa_world_war_two_nursing.php

I will need to dig a bit more on these for me new topics!

Thank you again & all the best,

JD