British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-11-20, 10:35 AM

Great thread which goes to show what it is now possible to find on line.

Brought back a memory of a collector from the Manchester area whose name I cannot remember at the moment but when he was in the Cheshire Yeomanry/Royal Signals in WW2 was issued with a Cheshire Imperial Yeomanry cap badge.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-11-20, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Cecils medal index card showing he was eligable for victory and british war medal...

Mark
Fantastic information Mark - It proves what Alan said too re Cheshire Yeo being posted too late for the Star.
It would be great if we could find more on his brothers, but I am more than grateful for your help - many thanks
Mike
Old 06-11-20, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post

Brought back a memory of a collector from the Manchester area whose name I cannot remember at the moment but when he was in the Cheshire Yeomanry/Royal Signals in WW2 was issued with a Cheshire Imperial Yeomanry cap badge.

P.
Very interesting Peter - many thanks, very useful! Hoping you are both keeping safe and well.
Mike
Old 06-11-20, 11:45 AM

406706 Noel Henry Wright was born in 1893 and enlisted on 14th May 1915 aged 22 years and 4 months. He was a Joiner by trade and was employed in the RAF as a Carpenter. His next of Kin was given as Frederick Wright of Quarry Lane Chistleton. He was appointed AM3 on 1/4/1918, AM2 1/8/18, AM1 1/1/18 and LAC 1/1/19. He served in the Middle East as part of the EEF (Egyptian Air Force) from 6/101917 - he qualified for the British War and Victory Medals. He died on 13/12/1930 aged 37.

26539 Hylton Wright was born in 1897 and enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps on 11/12/1915. He was an apprentice Cabinet Maker by trade he also gave Frederick Wright as his next of kin. He embarked for France on 18/12/1916 and served with 42 Squadron. He also qualified for the British War and Victory Medals.

Hope that is of some interest.

I have found several Marshall Wright's - none of who served in the Royal Engineers, one was Royal Irish Fusiliers (he was from Ireland), one was from Birmingham and served in the Royal Garrison Artillery, the final one served with the Army Service Corps - at present I don't know where he hailed from but he might be the most likely candidate ??

Regards

Paul L
Old 06-11-20, 11:50 AM

Default medals

Yes - I spotted Marshall and it's a good chance that he was the RGA member, but too many options for Harold..

Mark
Old 06-11-20, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Yes - I spotted Marshall and it's a good chance that he was the RGA member, but too many options for Harold..

Mark
Mark

I discounted the RGA chap as he was a Brummie and ended up serving 92 days with Hard Labour in Shrewsbury Gaol for Bigamy !

Paul
Old 06-11-20, 12:57 PM

Question

Werent there elements of this cheshire unit in with the Airborne forces signals?
Im sure i sold a photo a few years back to a forum collector?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post

P.
Old 06-11-20, 01:32 PM

Here are are some of the records and the RAF Muster Roll (1918) for Hylton Wright (images courtesy of Find My Past).

I don’t know if you are aware, Mike, but Find My Past are currently allowing free access for a week, ending 12 November.

With regards to missing medals, you could try putting notifications on Medal Tracker here. These would let people know you are looking for them:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker/submission

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker

You may also like to put out an appeal on the British Medal Forum, if you’ve not done so already, of course. They’ve a comprehensive list of medal dealers and auction houses on there too.

https://britishmedalforum.com/

I have also set up auto searches for my missing family name medals on both Ebay and The Saleroom, although I suspect “Wright” may get rather a lot of hits!

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

With regards to Cecil Wright, I don’t know if you have seen this, but here is a link which has an image of his headstone:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...5/cecil-wright

I imagine there should also be a Memorial Plaque in his name somewhere?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GBM_AIR79_271_00272.jpg (69.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GBM_AIR79_271_00273.jpg (54.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GBM_RAFNOM_9893.jpg (74.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Wobbler; 06-11-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 01:51 PM

And these I have just found on Ancestry for Hylton:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIUK1914A_120162-00018.jpg (57.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MIUK1914A_120162-00019.jpg (40.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg MIUK1914A_120162-00020.jpg (58.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg MIUK1914A_120162-00021.jpg (48.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-11-20, 03:43 PM

Cecil’s Medal Roll (image from Ancestry UK):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41629_611411_5670-00050.jpg (60.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-11-20, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
406706 Noel Henry Wright was born in 1893 and enlisted on 14th May 1915 aged 22 years and 4 months. He was a Joiner by trade and was employed in the RAF as a Carpenter. His next of Kin was given as Frederick Wright of Quarry Lane Chistleton. He was appointed AM3 on 1/4/1918, AM2 1/8/18, AM1 1/1/18 and LAC 1/1/19. He served in the Middle East as part of the EEF (Egyptian Air Force) from 6/101917 - he qualified for the British War and Victory Medals. He died on 13/12/1930 aged 37.

26539 Hylton Wright was born in 1897 and enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps on 11/12/1915. He was an apprentice Cabinet Maker by trade he also gave Frederick Wright as his next of kin. He embarked for France on 18/12/1916 and served with 42 Squadron. He also qualified for the British War and Victory Medals.

Hope that is of some interest.

I have found several Marshall Wright's - none of who served in the Royal Engineers, one was Royal Irish Fusiliers (he was from Ireland), one was from Birmingham and served in the Royal Garrison Artillery, the final one served with the Army Service Corps - at present I don't know where he hailed from but he might be the most likely candidate ??

Regards

Paul L

Wow Paul - this is fantastic background - I know the family will want me to thank you on their behalf - it is so good of you to spend the time looking - sincere appreciation!
Old 06-11-20, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON188 View Post
Werent there elements of this cheshire unit in with the Airborne forces signals?
Im sure i sold a photo a few years back to a forum collector?
Jon - one of the later relatives was an Airborne chap called Hickey - I think one of the Wright sisters married into the family. Hickey wrote several books so you may well have come across him - I have not looked into him yet as the WW1 Brothers were the family priority. Anything about Hickey will be of interest but I think his items went elsewhere. Not sure, but another chap from Christleton called Basil Dixon Bate may have Airborne connections too - certainly designing Airborne Equipment - he had a local Engineering firm and may have been Airborne himself? This local and family history is fascinating
Mike.
PS - Twin brother Richard and I joined the R Sig Cadets (based at the old Cheshire Yeo HQ - Abbots Park, Chester) - to fill in time before we were old enough for R Marine Cadets - you had to be 13 from memory to join the RM Cadets, 12 for the Army Cadets - what larks ...
Old 06-11-20, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
Cecil’s Medal Roll (image from Ancestry UK):
Where do I start to thank you Martin - outstanding - thank you very much.
Absolutely brilliant to see these records.
What a blessing this forum is, and the people who participate in helping others
Thank you so much
Mike
Old 06-11-20, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Mark

I discounted the RGA chap as he was a Brummie and ended up serving 92 days with Hard Labour in Shrewsbury Gaol for Bigamy !

Paul
Mark and Paul - colourful character - thank you very much for dogging!
Old 06-11-20, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
Here are are some of the records and the RAF Muster Roll (1918) for Hylton Wright (images courtesy of Find My Past).

I don’t know if you are aware, Mike, but Find My Past are currently allowing free access for a week, ending 12 November.

With regards to missing medals, you could try putting notifications on Medal Tracker here. These would let people know you are looking for them:

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker/submission

https://www.tokenpublishing.com/medaltracker

You may also like to put out an appeal on the British Medal Forum, if you’ve not done so already, of course. They’ve a comprehensive list of medal dealers and auction houses on there too.

https://britishmedalforum.com/

I have also set up auto searches for my missing family name medals on both Ebay and The Saleroom, although I suspect “Wright” may get rather a lot of hits!

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

With regards to Cecil Wright, I don’t know if you have seen this, but here is a link which has an image of his headstone:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...5/cecil-wright

I imagine there should also be a Memorial Plaque in his name somewhere?
The family are going to be delighted with all this ... I am going to try and put an album together for them - superb thank you ...
Mike