British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-22, 09:16 AM

Default Rising sun sweethearts with stars variations

hey all
just a few Rising sun sweethearts with stars, variations.
anyone got any the same but different?
id be interested to see and also buy
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rising sun sweethearts.jpg (106.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-10-22, 09:34 AM

Default Australian Sweethearts

A very nice quartet - I particularly like the badge on the right. My example is identical with the gap between on the scroll between AUSTRALIAN and COMMONWEALTH being red over blue.
Old 10-10-22, 10:16 AM

thanks Mike
is yours the same maker?
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (5).jpg (118.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (4).jpg (95.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-10-22, 11:08 AM

Default Australian Sweetheart

Marked [STERLING] [TLM] - but unlike yours the lettering is in one line. Australian sweetheart brooches were fairly easy to find in Southwest England c 40 years ago - indicating that many recipients must have lost their husbands/lovers/boyfriends in France 1914-1918. My wife's great uncle was born and brought up in Somerset, England and emigrated to Australia in 1912.
He enlisted in the AIF 9 Oct 14 and, as 954 WO2 (CSM) WF Hawkins 15th Bn AIF was KIA at Sari Bair, Gallipoli on 7 Aug 15. His rapid promotion was due to his having served in 4th Bn, the Dorset Regt TA from 1909-1912 and due to battle casualties of course. He has no known grave but is commemorated at Lone Pine, in Canberra, Brisbane and Ilminster, Somerset. He never married. RIP.
Old 10-10-22, 10:53 PM

There really are a very great range of rising sun sweetheart brooches, made in both world wars to suit all budgets. I have seen the 6 star varieties, indicating that they were part of larger production runs, never seen the five star type. There are also unknown ACMF collar-sized brooches with random letters and numbers that apparently do not have a logical explanation.
I have a couple of Pamela Caunt's paperback books on British sweethearts and would really like to see a similar publication on Australian rising sun varieties, but unfortunately lack the required photo and layout skills.
Old 11-10-22, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Marked [STERLING] [TLM] - but unlike yours the lettering is in one line. Australian sweetheart brooches were fairly easy to find in Southwest England c 40 years ago - indicating that many recipients must have lost their husbands/lovers/boyfriends in France 1914-1918. My wife's great uncle was born and brought up in Somerset, England and emigrated to Australia in 1912.
He enlisted in the AIF 9 Oct 14 and, as 954 WO2 (CSM) WF Hawkins 15th Bn AIF was KIA at Sari Bair, Gallipoli on 7 Aug 15. His rapid promotion was due to his having served in 4th Bn, the Dorset Regt TA from 1909-1912 and due to battle casualties of course. He has no known grave but is commemorated at Lone Pine, in Canberra, Brisbane and Ilminster, Somerset. He never married. RIP.
thanks Mike
so many sad stories. but thanks for sharing it
bc
Old 11-10-22, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
There really are a very great range of rising sun sweetheart brooches, made in both world wars to suit all budgets. I have seen the 6 star varieties, indicating that they were part of larger production runs, never seen the five star type.
i wonder if the 5 star was an earlier version or didnt know the significance of the 6 stars from the flag?
im sure i have another couple of them in boxes somewhere. will try and find them and compare
bc