British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-08, 12:15 PM
Badge Guru

Default Fake T Titles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-4th-Lincol...QQcmdZViewItem

In case you havent seen it, the seller openly admits that the second title is a cast copy he had made up and goes on to boast how good it is!

This battalion did spend some time in Egypt, however I have never observed a cast example. Collectors will know that some of the rare titles are cast, such as those to the Camel Companies, such a shame that people such as this seller are bringing yet more shadows of doubt the hobby.
Old 13-04-08, 02:22 PM

Smile cast title

At least he says that one is cast, an honest man, it's the ones who don't tell you you need to be aware of.
Old 13-04-08, 04:15 PM
Badge Guru

Honest about manfacturing fakes? I am not amused.
Old 13-04-08, 05:11 PM

Smile Fakes

When I said he was honest, I meant that he announced one title was cast.
Many sellers claim items are original when they plainly are not. I do not condone the reproduction of Military insignia at any level, unfortunately it goes on and has been for over 100 years. One glance at the threads in this forum tells you that people are buying restrikes from dealers who claim they are original and then offering up for others opinions.
My point is would they have bought those badges if the person selling them had said they were restrike/repro?
Old 14-04-08, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Honest about manfacturing fakes? I am not amused.
I absolutely share your frustration - this is the last thing we need. I hope and believe that we'll still be able to distinguish between these and the genuine cast examples (of which I have examples of the T/1/BRECKNOCK* and T/10/MIDDLESEX) but this sort of thing doesn't help.

Having collected T Titles myself over the last 20 years, has anyone else come across what look to be clearly faked 'lightweight' versions. they're the same brassy colour but not so lustrous, are much lighter and have very thin loops. I've noted two on my collecting travels - a T/RFA/WELSH and a T/RFA/CARDIGAN - the latter a rare title. They don't seem to be recent fakes, as I came across the T/RFA/WELSH over 10 years ago!

Has anyone else come across these?

* Actually, is this the only T Title to be exclusively produced locally as a cast version? Probably not, but would be interested to know of others...!

Best to all

Jonathan

Last edited by cymro; 14-04-08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 14-04-08, 02:33 PM

This one is cast.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.