British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-08, 05:56 PM
Badge Guru

Default Royal Warwicks OSD - Fake

About ten years ago I rolled up at a dealers shop and he had seven badges like this all to different regiments with exactly same construction and painted brown gloss finish.

My father bought this one and as a result I clipped him around the ear hole for buying a fake. He however refuses to believe me and is calling this a WW2 pattern.

Having looked at the administrator WW1 pattern badges I have to say there really is no comparison in regards to quality.

I would like details in regards to exactly who produced these. Of course my father could be right, what do you think?

Thank you for your time on this.

Old 22-03-08, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
About ten years ago I rolled up at a dealers shop and he had seven badges like this all to different regiments with exactly same construction and painted brown gloss finish.

My father bought this one and as a result I clipped him around the ear hole for buying a fake. He however refuses to believe me and is calling this a WW2 pattern.

Having looked at the administrator WW1 pattern badges I have to say there really is no comparison in regards to quality.

I would like details in regards to exactly who produced these. Of course my father could be right, what do you think?

Thank you for your time on this.

Although not an OSD collector I'd be happy with this with the following clause. Is it definently brown paint? I can't tell from a photo, did it smell when bought I've I've had that happen before? The one posted earlier with the fine chain is an exceptionally nice badge and I cant believe they would be made like that in wartime.
]
Although I'm only a small time OSD collector I'd be happy with this with the following clause. Is it definentley brown paint? I can't tell from a photo, did it smell when bought I've I've had that happen before? The one posted earlier with the fine chain is an exceptionally nice badge and I cant believe they would be made like that in wartime.
Old 22-03-08, 07:52 PM
Badge Guru

100 percent certain its brown gloss paint. You can see where some has chipped off on the rear end.

The badge didnt smell when purchased and doesnt smell now.

I have read somewhere that some badges were indeed painted, but gloss brown, can that be right?

Thank you for your interest.
Old 22-03-08, 08:03 PM

I have this Honourable Artillery Company badge which has also been hand painted, when i querried this i was informed that this was the correct way these badges were finished for this regiment.
If this is right or wrong i have no idea.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 22-03-08, 08:37 PM
Badge Guru

I came across a whole box full of sand cast hand finished shoulder titles to the HAC. I bought a few, then gave some away and even left a load on the dealers stall. I should of bought them all because I`m pretty sure someone could do something very naughty with the loops, namely use them on WW2 special forces badges for the WW2 North Africa campaign which is where I believe the shoulder titles have their origins.
Old 22-03-08, 08:37 PM

Quote:
100 percent certain its brown gloss paint. You can see where some has chipped off on the rear end.

The badge didnt smell when purchased and doesnt smell now.

I have read somewhere that some badges were indeed painted, but gloss brown, can that be right?

Thank you for your interest.
I'll admit I did try and re-bronze a genuine OSD once with Halfords acrylic Vauxhall Brazil Brown which is a great match but it did chip easily. Could this be the case here as the structure of the badge looks good?
Old 22-03-08, 08:46 PM
Badge Guru

Oh no.....you dont think........some people eh

I think if a collector has sprayed it they have done an excellent job to ensure there is a good covering under the blades. The blades dont show any trace of paint just nice toned brass which I suppose is one good feature I can find on this badge. The badge doesnt bend, detail isnt blurred, there are no brush stroke marks, I just think the mould that has been used is lacking detail.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 22-03-08 at 08:49 PM.
Old 22-03-08, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Oh no.....you dont think........some people eh

I think if a collector has sprayed it they have done an excellent job to ensure there is a good covering under the blades. The blades dont show any trace of paint just nice toned brass which I suppose is one good feature I can find on this badge. The badge doesnt bend, detail isnt blurred, there are no brush stroke marks, I just think the mould that has been used is lacking detail.
Please don't get me wrong, it was one in my collection. I lifted the blades and masked them too!! I have come across fake OSD's but they've always been die stamped rather than die cast. Nothing surprises me though and if you came across half a dozen all with the same finish then I'd be worried too. OSD bronze comes in many different tones and finishes and to find a couple together let alone six or more is cause for concern. You're suspicions are correct.
Old 22-03-08, 09:47 PM
Badge Guru

One thing I cannot explain is what someone would produce seven one off badges then cease production? When I visited that dealer again I was told someone had come in and bought all the others.
Old 22-03-08, 10:04 PM

Is it plausable that the Warwickshire badge is genuine but has just had a respray, as it looks cast and the blades look ok.

mackyd
Old 30-03-08, 09:58 AM

Hi,
As a variation on this post many years ago I aquired a OR's badge to this Regiment which a browned finish to the ribbon, as it was a commom badge I attempted to remove this finish, despite using a variety varnish/paint removers plus some very nasty solvents the finish was untouched. It would appear the finish was applied prior to being fixed to the WM component. How were OSD badges browned?