British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-03-08, 04:08 PM

Default Fake 125th BN CEF Badge?

I was looking over my Canadian WW1 (CEF) collection recently and it struck me that I have a fake 125th Bn (Brant) badge. I’d like to point out my reasons and would appreciate the opinions and comments of the members of this forum. I’ve attached a link to some pictures.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1978561

First of all, LUGS. I’ve read past threads and I see that lugs tell a lot of the story. As you can see, the lugs on this badge are perfectly round – I’ve seen this before on re-strike British badges. No other badge in my CEF collection has lugs like this (fortunately for me, I guess).

Second, and this is where I am less certain, there are imperfections on the front of the badge – like tiny raised blobs of metal - not the gas bubbles that you might see from a casting. None of my other badges have these imperfections.

Finally, the badge looks like it has been sandblasted to wear it down and make it look old. There are tiny pits all over the front of the badge. The badge looks "worn" but not polished.

I am even more suspicious of this badge now that I have seen a certain high-volume British e-bay badge dealer selling this badge. He has a number of “genuine” CEF badges that come up regularly, as well as many very rare British badges that appear in a rotating schedule in his sales…

Anyway, this is my first posting to this forum and I am looking forward to any responses!

Ian.
Old 19-03-08, 07:40 PM
Banned

Hi is this badge cast pot metal ?

paul
Old 19-03-08, 07:50 PM

Default 125th Bn CEF Badge Metal

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure, mainly because I'm not sure what that is...

It looks like brass though. Do you think I am on the right track with my comments?

Cheers, Ian.

Last edited by whizzbang; 17-06-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 19-03-08, 08:01 PM
Banned

Hi I am first let me compliment you on your photography. What do you use in detail please . I need to get the macro down myself and you have it mastered.
Now to your badge it appears to be cast but if it is brass then I am happy with it you depictions make the flaws to vivid which in this case makes a judgement difficult. Your badge is different than my examples even my collars but as long as it is not pot metal then it is okay without hands on.

PAUL
Old 19-03-08, 08:15 PM

Default 125th BN CEF Badge

Thanks for the complement on the pics. I use a Panasonic LUMIX camera (model DMC-TZ1 with 10x optical zoom) on macro mode. I took the pics under a desk lamp with the flash off and a mini tripod to keep the camera still, I also used the timer because the camera shakes for a second or two after you press the button. I also used the highest picture detail setting which helps alot!

I'll find out what I can about pot metal (just checked Wikipedia and its mostly zinc and is used for cheap toys, etc.). The lugs still bother me though.

Thanks again,

Ian.
Old 19-03-08, 08:20 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info I will research that camera and accessory.

As for the badge I wish I could have it in hand, I understand your concern as it does not conform to my examples. Can you weigh it ?

PAUL
Old 19-03-08, 08:26 PM

Default 125th Bn CEF Badge

That's a good idea - I'll see if I can get an accurate weight and let you know.
Cheers, Ian.
Old 19-03-08, 08:57 PM
Banned

I keep a digital scale and micrometer at my desk at all times these days.
For interest sake one of my 125th is 11.07 gm and the other is 10.75 gm and they appear to be by the same maker but one has a silver wash on the highlights THUS THE HEAVIER WT.

PAUL
Old 19-03-08, 09:10 PM

Hi Ian, You can bring it to the Toronto show next weekend, i'll be pleased to have a look at it too.
Jaime
Old 20-03-08, 12:37 AM

Default Toronto Militaria Show

Hi Jaime,

That would be great - I'll be there!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 20-03-08, 03:19 AM

Default 125th Image "Home Page-CEF Badges"

Hi - Thanks for the excuse to really have a good look at one of my badges. My example of the 125th does not help with your question as it is "Browning Copper", but the image posted will show you some of the obverse details. sorry I could not be of more help!
Old 20-03-08, 01:35 PM

Default 125th Bn CEF Badge

I take back what I said about this badge being brass - I compared it to other brass badges and it is duller and less yellow. Paul, how would you describe "pot metal"?

I hope to be able to get a weight later today.

Cheers, Ian.
Old 20-03-08, 05:27 PM
Banned

It looks cast so possible pot metal maybe a reunion badge or outright PAKISTAN FAKE but lets get a weight on it and someone to look at it next week at Toronto to confirm my suspicions in hand

PAUL
Old 30-03-08, 02:20 PM

Default Verdict is in...

Had the badge looked at by Wayne and Jaime of Marway and Vern Donaldson (Vernon's Collectibles) and the concensus was that the badge is ok

(had also gotten a weight on it but only to the nearest 0.5 g (10.5-11.5 g) right in the range of Paul's badges.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers, Ian.
Old 30-03-08, 07:05 PM
Banned

Great there is nothing better than good old hands on. Hope you did well at the show out there in the big smoke

PAUL