British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-21, 11:18 PM

Default Badge Info Wanted

Hello All,
I have just joined this forum as I occasionally find military badges that I'd like to learn about. Hopefully forum members can, where possible, give me details of age range, manufacturer, rarity and any other information of interest. I have personally found all but three of the badges. Three small rising suns were found by my wife. The condition of quite a few is probably not up to the standard serious badge collectors would like but they are what they are. One was found while digging a small household bottle dump, the rest were detected.
There is an obvious odd one out. This is the one that I found, as a teenager decades ago, in a bottle dump. My father tried to clean it at the time - presumably with Brasso.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5256 (2).jpg (117.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5257 (2).jpg (117.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5259 (2).jpg (117.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5260 (2).jpg (111.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5261 (2).jpg (100.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5262 (2).jpg (109.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5263 (2).jpg (107.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5264 (2).jpg (95.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-10-21, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Brinnie, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 18-10-21, 12:32 PM

Default 5th Australian Infantry Regiment (VIC)

Hello Brinnie,

Welcome to the Forum.

The hat badge that you found was based in Victoria between 1900 - 1912.

Cheers,

Invest

Last edited by Investment; 18-10-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 18-10-21, 03:16 PM

that 5th Reg badge is very cool. Personally, I wouldn't go at them with anything stronger than mild soap and water.
Old 18-10-21, 08:36 PM

G'day Brinnie, I'm only new here myself...so Welcome to another new Chum.

They're some very nice badge's you've found, well done! The 5th is definitely the stand out and can be very hard to come by from my understanding. Did it ever have flecks of enamel that you could see? As the Officer's example was originally Enamel, but this was very brittle and often came free of the badge easily from my understanding.

Also, I've attached photos of Jeff Cossum's "Rising Sun Badge" book for you. You may already have it, but if not perhaps it can help 🙂

Regards Dal

PS; I imagine they're not, but if you're ever considering selling...I'd definitely be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211019_071628.jpg (74.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20211019_071644.jpg (54.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20211019_071837.jpg (48.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 19-10-21, 12:55 AM

Thank you Invest and Dal. Any info on the other badges - noting that three have writing on the back?
I agree with your soap and water comment Mark, though the brasso treatment was done, without my knowledge (or approval), by my father. That said, as can seen by some of the other badges, dug badges cab be very crappy and require a more severe 'clean'.
There was never any evidence of enamel on the 5th Regiment badge. I get the feeling this is quite a rare piece, is that the case? I have quite a collection of various things I have found fossicking and generally don't sell anything - the exception being duplicates. My wife recently found a number of 1 inch diameter WA vigilans buttons in quite good order. We parted with a few of those.

Last edited by Brinnie; 19-10-21 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Fix up
Old 19-10-21, 01:08 AM

One collar badge was broached as a sweetheart badge the ones with writing are maker marks which are common WW2 badges .The interesting ones are the Fifth and a collar which is odd

Rob
Old 19-10-21, 01:18 AM

Thanks Jack. I now know the marked types were WWII. I'm sure there are some from WWI based on where they were found - old sites that were long defunct before WWII. In hindsight I should have noted which ones but did not. Is there anyway of telling the earlier types now.
I'm naturally curious about the 'odd' collar badge. Can you enlighten me please?
Old 19-10-21, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinnie View Post
Thanks Jack. I now know the marked types were WWII. I'm sure there are some from WWI based on where they were found - old sites that were long defunct before WWII. In hindsight I should have noted which ones but did not. Is there anyway of telling the earlier types now.
I'm naturally curious about the 'odd' collar badge. Can you enlighten me please?
The two slider badges are WW1 the rest look WW2 apart from the 5th the odd collar is this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5263 (2).jpg (73.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 19-10-21, 02:33 AM

Smile

Thanks Jack, much appreciated.
One more thing, I have some other badge types that I've found or have been given that aren't 'rising sun' style. Which sub section of the forum should I post these under?
Incidentally, a sphinx was found within two metres of the 'odd' collar badge. I presume it was a souvenir of some sort and maybe sent to the 'sweetheart' that received the badge. Given that they were seemingly turfed, maybe the 'sweetheart' had moved on. I've included a picture taken at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canbelego Sphinx & Badge.jpg (36.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Brinnie; 19-10-21 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Additional info included