British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-14, 11:58 AM

Default Death Plaque original envelopes

I was at the local Antique Centre yesterday and a dealer had a Death Plague with some other odds and sods for sale at £190.

After researching the man on CWGC site when I got home I came to the conclusion that the odds and sods had nothing to do with the man BUT the Plaque came not only with the brown card cover but also the original paper envelope with the next of kin`s name and address and in the bottom right hand corner of the front of the envelope was printed " If undelivered please return to The Manager, Memorial Plaque Factory..................................."

The more I think about it, I cant remember seeing many plaques which still had the original addressed envelope, does anyone else think this is a rare item ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-03-14, 12:19 PM

Peter,
I have felt annoyed on several occasions to see the Plaque and envelope being sold separately but I have seldom seen them sold together as one item.
Eddie
Old 25-03-14, 12:32 PM

Thanks Eddie,

The relative ( the father ) had an address in Liverpool and it turned out that the deceased had been in the 8th Bedfords but even if he had been in the Kings Liverpools, I think the price for the items is over the top and I don't think I would have been tempted.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-03-14, 01:15 PM

Peter,
I have difficulty understanding why people would want to buy Death Plaques unless there is a family connection, but I will never understand why anyone would want to buy the empty envelope.
Eddie
Old 25-03-14, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Peter,
I have difficulty understanding why people would want to buy Death Plaques unless there is a family connection, but I will never understand why anyone would want to buy the empty envelope.
Eddie
Well I would think the empty envelope would be purchased by someone who has a plaque or 2 without envelopes. There is a market for just about everything.

I am primarily a medals collector now (having lost interest in most badges and insignia). I have yet to add a memorial plaque to my collection. What I want is a complete group, Plaque, Scroll, Memorial Cross (if applicable), and the medals, all correctly named to the soldier.

These do not come up very often and when they do, as you can imagine, the price is quite large. When I have a group like that, if it is missing the envelope, I would strongly consider buying one.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 25-03-14, 01:45 PM

Peter,

The price for a plaque and envelope does seem high, though it might depend on where and when he died and other factors such as other medals he earned, the unit etc... but I think in this case it is too much.

I have one plaque and matching Victory medal in my collection, local to me and he DOW with the South Wales Borderers -who I collect to-, though missing his war medal and the scroll and envelope. I can see why people would buy loose envelopes to complete a group and I might if I saw one for sale but I have not been looking.

Complete groups with all the parts do attract a premium and are affected by the factors mentioned above.

Jerry
Old 25-03-14, 02:15 PM
LYPAO Boff

I have an original envelope.... is that really what they are worth???

I will swap for some good Mottoes or a good LY Officers or ORs

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 25-03-14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 25-03-14, 02:48 PM

Default death plaque

hi peter i have 4 death plaques with envelopes at one time i did think about trying to get a plaque for every badge i have but soon realised this was not feasable mainly due to cost but the most i have paid is £120 the least £60 i do think £190 is going over the top a bit no matter what regiment the guy was in but as always its what people think its worth and how bad they want it
Old 25-03-14, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I do have a number of death plaques, attached is a picture of the best example I have, my query was really about the plaque, brown card cover and original envelope all being together all this time later when you don't get too many with even the card cover never mind the envelope from the Factory.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2378.jpg (63.2 KB, 35 views)

Old 25-03-14, 03:21 PM
LYPAO Boff

The penny thats with my envelope is a Lincs Regt..... if anyone is interested.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 25-03-14, 07:04 PM

Peter
The envelopes are scarce i am sure most of them would have ended up
in the bin once the plaque was removed
As to the cost of the plaque as has been said some units or battles
can attract very high prices from collectors
If you wanted a trio and plaque to a 1-7-16 first day battle of the somme
casualty you would have to pay upwards of £1000.00
over the next few years the prices may well keep going up
Old 27-03-14, 12:14 AM

Paj1

What's a trio consist of? I assume we're talking medals here, something I kmow nothing about.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 27-03-14, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Paj1

What's a trio consist of? I assume we're talking medals here, something I kmow nothing about.

Cheers

Colin
Either a 14 or 15 Star, a British War Medal and a Victory Medal. Shown is a 14 star mini trio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini Mons star trio restored.jpg (74.2 KB, 4 views)

Jerry
Old 27-03-14, 09:19 AM

Thanks Jerry

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 28-03-14, 07:13 PM

Very rare to see the envelope, the weight of the plaque also tends to damage the fragile envelope and most of the ones I have seen are torn.

Brian