British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-13, 11:23 AM

Default Can anyone help me ??

Hiya everyone,
Images, original medals and original ribbons bar of a WW1 hero, who lived through the war, and died in 1965.
(The ribbons to the medals are not original IMO)

I’d like to give you all, the story first;

The image is of the father of a neighbour of my brothers who sadly died in the 1980’s, her name being Dorothy (DINKY), she had no one to leave these medals too, and was offered £200 for them, from an unknown man.
She never knew much of them and so turned to my brother for advice, as she knew he was an “Ex” military man. He was told, “George” enlisted into the Army in 1914 and went to the front in 1915 and fought all the way through to the end of the war, but that is all he knows about this…
Chris told her she was not to sell them to this individual and they need to be looked after properly, so unbeknown to him and his wife, she left them to him in her will. After she died he was informed of her wishes, and inherited them, along with the Parchment paper for the MM.

He didn’t know what to do with them, but is now the keeper of them, he is now in a dilemma, as he does not want to sell them, because they were intrusted to him for safe keeping, but he doesn’t want to display them, cos he feels it is wrong, as he is not family and he felt embarrassed to have them and doesn’t know what to do with them.

So he placed them in the attic, ………. !!!

We were talking about military stuff, as you do, and I showed him some of my finds from Farnham, when he brought up the subject of the medals. They are worth a lot of money, and should be cared for, not shut away. I’ve told Chris, that we need to clean them up abit, and that I’ll make up a couple of Mounts to house this outstanding set, and I’ve also chastised him for hiding them in the attic out of eyesight.

This, in my eyes, is one of the true heroes of the Great War and he is an Old Contemptible (I think)

The Frame they are in is very basic, but has done the job of protecting them all from further harm.

I never thought to take complete images of the complete edges of the medals, and it was only when I got home late last night that I realised this guy “George” had 2 differing Army No’s So I’m now unaware of his history. Although it can be seen he was in the 11th Bn Royal Fusiliers as a Pte, I didn’t think it important to show the rest of the medal edges… (We live and learn) sorry.

Could anyone help us in finding out his military history?? Any help would be much appreciated, as I’m going to ensure these are well looked after, and presented in the manner they deserve.

He has the grave site he is buried in as well, and also another image of him with a group of his friends around an Artillery Gun from the same period.
I’ve told Chris, I’ll see if we can get hold of the Cap and Collar Badges of the unit, The RF “City of London Bn” so as to display them in the same mount, any ideas please would be more than welcome, are they overly expensive?

A quick search has found that the 11th (Service) Bn RF was formed at Hounslow Bks, which conforms with our man as he lived in Whitton Hounslow (Next to Twickenham Rugby Club) and he is also buried in the Cemetery there in Whitton. Dinky (I knew her as well) has always lived in the area as well and told him that “George” always held the “Parchment Paper” in his top left-hand pocket wherever he travelled, right up till the day he died and the parchment paper is now very dull from this.

Ken (The Fatboy)

P5050298.jpg

P5050299.jpg

P5050285.jpg

P5050287.jpg

P5050288.jpg

P5050289.jpg

More images to follow below
Old 06-05-13, 11:24 AM

No sorry, Ken, you are way beyond help
Old 06-05-13, 11:27 AM

Clearly it can be seen that 2 sets of Numbers exist for this guy and to know the details of him would be wonderful to place into the frame with him.

P5050289.jpg

P5050291.jpg

P5050292.jpg

P5050293.jpg

P5050286.jpg

P5050295.jpg

P5050296.jpg

P5050297.jpg
Old 06-05-13, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
No sorry, Ken, you are way beyond help
i know that "young" Phil....
Old 06-05-13, 11:33 AM

A close up of the cap n collar badges

P5050285 (2).jpg
Old 06-05-13, 11:59 AM

PM sent

Great collection!

I bought a group of WW2 medals at a boot sale a couple of years ago with tons of paperwork. Turned out that I knew the chap and I consider it a privilege to care for his medals now.

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 06-05-13 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Terrible spelling
Old 06-05-13, 12:04 PM

Arrived in France 16/11/1915

I have also found an entry for the DCM dated 3 Jun 19

Its a start
Old 06-05-13, 12:07 PM

Sadly I can't find any service or pension records
Old 06-05-13, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Arrived in France 16/11/1915

I have also found an entry for the DCM dated 3 Jun 19

Its a start
Wow !! excellent Andy

Wish I was able to look into these types of history, but havn't got the time, cos I work nightshifts...
Old 06-05-13, 12:11 PM

Found the citation
Old 06-05-13, 12:14 PM

pm,d you the citation.

Andy
Old 06-05-13, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy. View Post
pm,d you the citation.

Andy
Andy,

Have you had any luck with the MM?

Regards,

The other Andy
Old 06-05-13, 12:45 PM

I've recieved the email Andrew, And we can't thank you enough, you're a star mate.

Thank you

Ken
PS
Andyh
No luck as the parchment paper is very faded, and maostly unreadable..... =-(
Old 06-05-13, 01:04 PM

Right i'll get this right now......

Thank you andyh for the emails and images of his records,and the citation, it is very much appreciated

also

Thanks for the citation Andy, this also is appreciated, and will go along way with the making up of a frame and mounts to honour this soldier.

I now owe you both a drink of "Tea or Coffee" at the next time we meet up lol
(I hope this pays for the costs incurred to you both)

Cheers

Ken
Old 06-05-13, 01:10 PM

Anytime mate

Andy