British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-10, 10:42 AM

Default Officers' Helmet Plates for the East Surrey Regt

I have never seen helmet plates for the volunteer battalions of the East Surrey's. In particular, the 2nd (Wimbledon) and 4th (Kingston) volunteer battalions, they later became the 5th and 6th Battalions respectively, were there helmet plates for these units as well?.
I have seen the cap badges, pouch belt plates and ORs' helmet plates some of which can be seen on this site's album pages, thank you Matti467 and Cossack.
any help would be appreciated
Old 26-12-10, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting859 View Post
I have never seen helmet plates for the volunteer battalions of the East Surrey's. In particular, the 2nd (Wimbledon) and 4th (Kingston) volunteer battalions, they later became the 5th and 6th Battalions respectively, were there helmet plates for these units as well?.
I have seen the cap badges, pouch belt plates and ORs' helmet plates some of which can be seen on this site's album pages, thank you Matti467 and Cossack.
any help would be appreciated
The 3rd VB were Kingston, 4th were Clapham Junction. I´m sure helmet plates for officers do exist, it´s just waitng for them to turn up, not that I can afford them when they do!
Old 26-12-10, 07:40 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I like Keith would love to add them to my collection. The best pace to see themis Clandon park and there are some fantastic items in the museum and uniforms, busbys with seperate boss above cap badge with crown etc.
Matti
P.s. I am pleased that you enjoyed the album
Old 27-12-10, 03:30 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Some further thoughts vis a vis helmet plates and those to officers. I believe that some battalions did not have helmet plates for officers all of the time. I base this theory on the fact that the full dress for the 3rd VB and 6th Bttn was a busby type Rifle Brigade head dress for some of its history. There is also the possibility that the full dress head dress of ORs, senior NCOs and officers may have been different. As we know, VBs did things differently until they were fully adopted by the War Office.
Matti

Last edited by matti467; 27-12-10 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 27-12-10, 03:45 PM

Thanks guys, I can't get to the Surrey's Museum at Clandon Park as it is too far away but I remember the original museum in the TA centre in Kingston back in the 70's which seem to have had masses of badges and medals. I must start an album of my Surrey badges sooner rather than latter.
cheers
Old 27-12-10, 03:55 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I look forward to your album. Also, if you are ever down here in Surrey beware that the opening hours for the museum are based on the National Trust pile that stands over it.
Matti