British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-14, 12:25 PM

Default Secret desert camp used Lawrence of Arabia discovered intact

This might be interesting to students of WWI/Arab Revolt/battlefield archaeology:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-campfire.html

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 24-03-14, 01:09 PM

Interesting read. Something I will have to return to as time allows. Thanks for the link.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 04-04-14, 06:55 PM

Fasinating stuff and a reminder of the gobal nature of the Great War!
Old 05-04-14, 02:58 PM

I missed this first time round. What a fascinating story about one of the most bizarre and incredible soldiers ever to live. I've often thought the various deserts in the middle east still hide much from both wars and I'm never surprised when something like this turns up. I'd loved to have been there at the time of discovery.

I've also read much on Lawrence and am very much of the opinion that he was lucky not to have been locked up in an asylum but his abilities were of such use in wartime. War can bring out the best or worst in people and it often makes heroes out of misfits, like Lawrence (whose real name was Shaw btw).
Old 05-04-14, 03:11 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

A few mates and I went "bondu" bashing back in the late 70's and we found (I was working in Riyadh at the time) the remains of that train he attacked. I recall that engine was about out all that was left. Found purely by chance. It must have been in a "damp" region as any other "dumped" vehicles we saw in the deserts around Riyadh (I recall it being about 1800' above sea level) were polished and sandblasted - whereas the ones we found up at Dhahran were rusted hulks...
Old 05-04-14, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
A few mates and I went "bondu" bashing back in the late 70's and we found (I was working in Riyadh at the time) the remains of that train he attacked. I recall that engine was about out all that was left. Found purely by chance. It must have been in a "damp" region as any other "dumped" vehicles we saw in the deserts around Riyadh (I recall it being about 1800' above sea level) were polished and sandblasted - whereas the ones we found up at Dhahran were rusted hulks...
I've seen the pictures of those (the rusty ones) in various books and they're also on the internet - amazing.
Old 06-04-14, 02:35 PM

You know what, that was my first thought upon seeing this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I'd loved to have been there at the time of discovery.
Old 06-04-14, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
You know what, that was my first thought upon seeing this thread!
I feel like that with every historic site I've ever visited.
Old 06-04-14, 03:10 PM

I'm really not a beach type let alone desert! but, I would be happy to suffer discomfort to actually have been there and seen it for myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I feel like that with every historic site I've ever visited.
Old 06-04-14, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I'm really not a beach type let alone desert! but, I would be happy to suffer discomfort to actually have been there and seen it for myself!
I'm not really a beach guy myself although I've had my moments - no point in paying to go to Barbados or Mauritius and not enjoy the beach. The desert intrigues me though. I've been in the Western Desert and flown over a lot of it too. I know there's so much hidden down there. Egyptologists reckon for a start that only 30% of the treasures of ancient Egypt have been uncovered so far.

There are settlements on the east bank of the Nile close to the Valley of the Kings and it's been found that some families have been able to explore under their homes into ancient tombs and have been trading in antiquities for decades, some making a small fortune out of it.

Old warplanes and tanks are always being discovered. I'd love to be in on something like that. Or finding one of the old dumps which the Matruh Mobile Force created in the run up to the declaration of war by Italy in 1939. They'd been mapping the desert for years and had gone out and dug great holes filled with supplies, many of which were never used or even found again because the cairns of stones used to mark them were buried in sandstorms.