British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-22, 10:53 AM

Default Yeomanry Regiment and Squadron Insignia 1978/9

Hi all, as some of you already know, over the last year I have been collecting cap badges for a framed display of all cap badges worn by the British Army, including regular, territorial, British overseas dependant territories units and some representative of college, OTC and CCF units, for the time frame of 1978/9. This I have now pretty much completed, but do have some questions on certain yeomanry regiment and individual band insignia.

From some of your replies to a previous question posed on here I have gleaned a little knowledge but it's become a little confusing, so can anyone definitely answer the following?

I believe the following were squadrons of the larger yeomanry regiments but wore their own cap badges?

Berkshire and Westminster Dragoons.
Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry.
Kent and County of London Yeomanry.
North Irish Horse.
Northumberland Hussars.
Queens Own Yorkshire Yeomanry.
Ayrshire Yeomanry.
Cheshire Yeomanry.
Royal Gloucestershire Yeomanry.
Royal Devon Yeomanry.
Queen's Own Warwickshire & Worcestershire Yeomanry.
Shropshire Yeomanry.

Which of the larger yeomanry regiments did the above belong to? and did they wear the larger yeomanry regiment collar badges or shoulder titles along with their own squadron cap badges?

Can anyone give me a list of which squadrons belonged to which larger regiment and who wore what?

The Staffordshire Yeomanry wore the Queens own Mercian Yeomanry cap badge with their own collar badges? did they also wear Staffs shoulder titles? what other squadrons were there in the Mercian Yeomanry and did they wear their own collar badges or shoulder titles?

Queens Own Yeomanry. Squadrons wore a QOY cap badge and their own Squadron collar badges or shoulder titles? Can anyone tell me which squadrons belonged to the QOY?

Wessex Yeomanry, wore their own squadron cap badges and Wessex Yeomanry Collar badges? Which squadrons were in the Wessex Yeomanry?

Royal Yeomanry. did they wear a Royal Yeomanry cap badge with their own individual squadron collar badges/shoulder titles, or visa versa? Which squadrons were in the Royal Yeomanry?

DLO Yeomanry (assuming Duke of Lancaster's? please correct me if wrong?) Own cap badge or individual squadron badges or did they belong to one of the larger regiments? Likewise with the Sherwood Rangers and South Nottingham Hussars?

Please if any units do not fit in the 1978/79 time frame, please correct me!

Military bands. I believe some of the military bands did have their own cap badges (only peaked cap and beret badges of interest to me) is this true and does anyone know which ones?

My intention is to represent every regiment, whether it existed as an individual regiment or as a regiment as a squadron within a larger regiment! Where there are Yeomanry regiments with their own cap badge, I'd like to display that with shoulder title (or collar badge), representative of the individual squadrons and where a larger regiment did not have its own cap badge, is to display the regiment shoulder title with the individual squadron cap badges.

Sorry it's a bit complicated, it's given me a headache just trying to think of the questions, but want to get the display as accurate as possible.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Old 14-10-22, 11:18 AM

Tony will post some of my frames most of the answers are there
Old 14-10-22, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

They switched and swapped sqns and regiments so often that's a lot of research!
Old 14-10-22, 11:58 AM

Tony just noticed your time line as Alan O said switched about a lot as regiments moved about items removed to new formations .so boards up to date Posted a couple may be of interest
David
EG the The scottish and North irish Yeomanry all the squadrons were in various regiment in your time line The only regiment which apart for new cap badges which has not changed a lot is the royal/wessex yeo Ihave posted these many times You will note on board were items have been moved
I have notes some where on all the changes ,but as said before off loading most of my general collection to young grandchildren

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 14-10-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 14-10-22, 04:39 PM

Default Yeomanry Regiment and Squadron Insignia 1978/9

Thanks all for the replies! interesting, but think I'm more confused now than before! Maybe to make things easier for myself I'll stick to cap badges only, so, is it possible for anyone to give me a list of ALL cap badges, worn by yeomanry regiments, whether as squadrons or as larger regiments in 1979? I think I'll abandon the idea of collar badges or shoulder titles as to complicated!

Many thanks

Tony
Old 15-10-22, 11:34 AM

The Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry wore the QOMY cap badge and a shoulder title QOMY. Each Squadron wore its predecessor's collars. A wore a Bear and Ragged Staff for Warwickshire B wore the Staffordshire Yeomanry crowned garter (with a red backing) and C the Shropshire Yeomanry. Buttons were plain.
Old 15-10-22, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
The Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry wore the QOMY cap badge and a shoulder title QOMY. Each Squadron wore its predecessor's collars. A wore a Bear and Ragged Staff for Warwickshire B wore the Staffordshire Yeomanry crowned garter (with a red backing) and C the Shropshire Yeomanry. Buttons were plain.
Thank you very much, really appreciated.

Best regards

Tony
Old 15-10-22, 05:45 PM

Royal Yeomanry didnt have there own cap badge at that time.
Each regiment wore their own squadron cap badge.
Old 15-10-22, 06:26 PM

Maybe this helps: The Volunteer Cavalry and Royal Armoured Corps of the British Army.
For your case, I would go start the bottom (2020).

It most probably is not without error and I have no doubt that the badge experts here will have remarks, but it is best I could do until now

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 15-10-22, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Maybe this helps: The Volunteer Cavalry and Royal Armoured Corps of the British Army.
For your case, I would go start the bottom (2020).

It most probably is not without error and I have no doubt that the badge experts here will have remarks, but it is best I could do until now
Cheers, that's really great, thank you very much.

Best regards

Tony
Old 15-10-22, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Royal Yeomanry didnt have there own cap badge at that time.
Each regiment wore their own squadron cap badge.
Cheers Mike, that's useful thanks

Tony
Old 06-11-22, 02:16 AM

Tony, are you covering RAC units only or all Yeomanry regiments / Sqns?

Essex Yeomanry wore a red cloth Royal Signals badge on beret at that time. I can post a picture if that falls in your scope.

EY
Old 06-11-22, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
Tony, are you covering RAC units only or all Yeomanry regiments / Sqns?

Essex Yeomanry wore a red cloth Royal Signals badge on beret at that time. I can post a picture if that falls in your scope.

EY
Hi, Yes, covering all yeomanry regiments/sqns worn in the time frame 1978/9 (actually ALL cap badges worn by British army units, regular, reserve and dependant territories) So yes, would fall in my scope and would very much appreciate a picture please.

Many thanks

Tony
Old 08-11-22, 08:28 AM

Here you go, officer & warrant officer and other ranks badges, worn by 70 (Essex Yeomanry) Signal Squadron from 1978.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80.jpg (50.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 78.jpg (48.5 KB, 3 views)