British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-10-20, 12:38 PM
Lois Lois is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
Default Unknown cap badge

Hello all

I have a photo of my great uncle (attached) taken during WWI I believe. He is wearing a cap badge that I havenít been able to identify. He lived in County Durham so I had assumed Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers but the badge doesnít appear to match either of these. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle Herbert.jpg (84.2 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-10-20, 03:02 PM
Bill A's Avatar
Bill A Bill A is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,807
Default

Hello Lois, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The badge in the image is the Royal Marine Artillery.
__________________
Res ipsa loquitur
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-10-20, 03:18 PM
Luke H's Avatar
Luke H Luke H is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Londoner in exile
Posts: 2,496
Default

He is Royal Marine Engineers not RMA.

See here https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...rine+engineers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-10-20, 03:21 PM
gb64's Avatar
gb64 gb64 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
Hello all

I have a photo of my great uncle (attached) taken during WWI I believe. He is wearing a cap badge that I haven’t been able to identify. He lived in County Durham so I had assumed Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers but the badge doesn’t appear to match either of these. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
Hi Lois
Welcome to the Forum , great picture, as Luke has said Royal Marine Engineers.

Gerard

Gerard
__________________
Always interested in buying cap badges to the Middlesex Regt-Hertfordshire Regt-The Rifle Brigade

Last edited by gb64; 25-10-20 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Wrong info first ��
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-10-20, 03:45 PM
Lois Lois is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks very much to all of you, this is exciting news. Now I can do some more research!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-10-20, 04:03 PM
54Bty's Avatar
54Bty 54Bty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London, England
Posts: 5,595
Default

On most websites it is listed as Royal Marine Artillery although the badges do not have a Universal pattern Grenade. Which is attributed to Royal Marine Engineer Officers and the gent in the first post image is not.

Marc
__________________
I am still looking for the Army Unit sleeve badges from the Sultanate of Oman.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-10-20, 04:27 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portsmouth Area
Posts: 887
Default

Hi Lois

Very nice picture and nice to see this specific badge being worn. The badge is one worn by the Royal Marines Engineers, a unit formed in early 1918 and I believe disbanded shortly after the end of WWI. If you get access to the book "Personal Distinctions" by John Rawlinson there is a section about the RME on pages 190 & 191 with some pictures of the badge you posted being worn on page 191. He is definitely not an officer as their badges were 2 part bronze with the letters RME on the grenade part. The 2 part gilding metal badge you have pictured seems to be attributed to corporals in the RME. There is also a one part badge which appears to be attributed to privates and pioneers. I have pictured a few of the badges I have below. First badge is the bronze officer's version, second is the 2 part corporal's badge and the third one is a representation of the 1 piece private's badge. I have also posted a fourth badge which I have not been able to verify yet but thought I would show just so you can have an idea of the variations in this small short lived unit.

Paddy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-10-20, 05:12 PM
54Bty's Avatar
54Bty 54Bty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London, England
Posts: 5,595
Default

Thank you very much for your clarification, learning all the time with this Forum. Just goes to show you can not trust some websites.

Marc
__________________
I am still looking for the Army Unit sleeve badges from the Sultanate of Oman.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-10-20, 07:19 PM
CAM's Avatar
CAM CAM is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Thank you very much for your clarification, learning all the time with this Forum. Just goes to show you can not trust some websites.

Marc
Ditto
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-10-20, 11:51 PM
Hoot Hoot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hi Lois

Very nice picture and nice to see this specific badge being worn. The badge is one worn by the Royal Marines Engineers, a unit formed in early 1918 and I believe disbanded shortly after the end of WWI. If you get access to the book "Personal Distinctions" by John Rawlinson there is a section about the RME on pages 190 & 191 with some pictures of the badge you posted being worn on page 191. He is definitely not an officer as their badges were 2 part bronze with the letters RME on the grenade part. The 2 part gilding metal badge you have pictured seems to be attributed to corporals in the RME. There is also a one part badge which appears to be attributed to privates and pioneers. I have pictured a few of the badges I have below. First badge is the bronze officer's version, second is the 2 part corporal's badge and the third one is a representation of the 1 piece private's badge. I have also posted a fourth badge which I have not been able to verify yet but thought I would show just so you can have an idea of the variations in this small short lived unit.

Paddy
Paddy, the badge in the opening post looks like a one piece badge to me, you can see where the grenade joins the globe. It looks more like your fourth badge to me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26-10-20, 10:07 AM
54Bty's Avatar
54Bty 54Bty is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London, England
Posts: 5,595
Default

Looks like it.
Only borrowed the badge part of the image.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RME Badge NM B&CMBForum.jpg (8.4 KB, 27 views)
__________________
I am still looking for the Army Unit sleeve badges from the Sultanate of Oman.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26-10-20, 11:44 AM
Bill A's Avatar
Bill A Bill A is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,807
Default

This thread highlights the collective knowledge and the value of discussion. A good reminder that internet sources need to be verified. Thanks to all.
__________________
Res ipsa loquitur
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26-10-20, 04:47 PM
3dg 3dg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 800
Default

Great photo!
Was there a RME shoulder title?

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26-10-20, 05:37 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portsmouth Area
Posts: 887
Default

Chris

There were 2 different sizes of metal shoulder title (pictured below, the single is the large size and the pair are the small size). The large ones are approx 18mm tall. The common theme for RM shoulder titles is that large titles were worn by other ranks and small titles worn by officers (RMA, RMLI & RM). There was also a cloth RME title but unfortunately I do not have one at the minute.

Paddy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26-10-20, 10:19 PM
3dg 3dg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Chris

There were 2 different sizes of metal shoulder title (pictured below, the single is the large size and the pair are the small size). The large ones are approx 18mm tall. The common theme for RM shoulder titles is that large titles were worn by other ranks and small titles worn by officers (RMA, RMLI & RM). There was also a cloth RME title but unfortunately I do not have one at the minute.

Paddy
Thank you Paddy for the information and photographs, most interesting.
Cheers
.
Chris
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.