British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-20, 07:01 PM

Default RNF officers gilt cap badge

Many years ago I bought a RNF officers gilt cap badge with a small slider, this seemed to be original and I just left it in situ.

Some time later on the way to Devon we stopped off for a break in Wiltshire and visited a car boot sale where I bought a slightly well worn officers dress cap, this had a small brass attachment on the front where a cap badge would fit and when I eventually arrived home and tried the badge in the attachment it fitted like a glove.

Rob
Old 30-10-20, 08:01 PM

Then there is the Birmingham Mint version which is in a ‘silver gilt’ finish with a slider produced by J R Gaunt as part of the ‘Great British Regiments’ set.

See https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=767

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A548354B-AF80-45EB-BEDE-6CE386593C18.jpeg (77.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg B6A3255E-B99A-4A59-85E5-F3760FC11F06.jpeg (74.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 30-10-20, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Many years ago I bought a RNF officers gilt cap badge with a small slider, this seemed to be original and I just left it in situ.

Some time later on the way to Devon we stopped off for a break in Wiltshire and visited a car boot sale where I bought a slightly well worn officers dress cap, this had a small brass attachment on the front where a cap badge would fit and when I eventually arrived home and tried the badge in the attachment it fitted like a glove.

Rob
Rob would you have an image of the cap fitting?
Cheers Tony.
Old 30-10-20, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I have had this badge for some time now and included it with my ORs collection, but could this be and officer badge? It is not gilt and the overlay does not appear to be silver however. It is lugged, where I would expect a slider for ORs. Were there two versions of the flame design for badges of this period?

CB
Wood 242. 1953 - 1963(?) Soldiers. Worn in vertical pairs, facing left and right 44 x 27 mm. Worn on the collars of No. 2 dress and mess waiters' livery jacket.
Old 31-10-20, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Rob would you have an image of the cap fitting?
Cheers Tony.
A fitting on a cap I have, not a RNF one as the end of the slider would be visible when worn.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...=Staff+Officer
Old 31-10-20, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Without checking, I think "The Fifth Fusiliers And Its Badges" by D. Wood says worn from a date in the 50s until 1963 in bimetal, and that AA were made but probably not issued to the TA.
I may be imagining that "History of the British Army Infantry Collar Badge" by C. Churchill says that the AA were only produced with St George facing the viewers left, I may have confused that with Mess Waiters collar badges or something.

I'll dig out Wood and Churchill for references to the bimetal and AA collars.

The RNF with fan shaped flames is beginning to ring distant bells I cant remember it being mentioned or shown in K&K, Gaylor, Wood etc but perhaps I saw it in an old "Crown Imperial".
Might it be a waist belt plate badge Leigh? I have a memory of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers stable belt ‘style’ being adopted from the Northumberland Fusiliers when the various regimental dress traditions were divvied up for the new regiment. As you know such plates had the advantage that they could be fitted to white belts as well. I don’t know what the band and drums wore prior to absorption within the RRF, but it was probably No1 Dress at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3AA8E3BF-48D3-469B-94FD-64685410AB45.jpeg (23.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 31-10-20, 03:03 PM

I don't think so, Ihave an idea that a Crown Imperial article showed a NF or RNF that varied from the norm, it may have been a NF or RNF with the NF style rounded fan of flames but motto circlet instead of name.

RRF adopted the rose and primrose stable belt of the LF but with the brass plate and AA badge although some of the old leather strap fastening belts of the LF soldiered on alongside them.
The strap fittings have made a reappearance in more recent times I think, and I've seen images of the Drums wearing silver coloured belt plates.

I think the NF Band wore Blues, the Drums Full Dress with Fusilier Caps at the time of amalgamation into RRF in 1968.
Old 01-11-20, 05:24 PM

I don't know if this s is the article I was thinking of, from Crown Imperial no. 54, Spring 1989, an article by D Wood.

Figure 1, adopted as a design by regular and volunteer battalions in 1895, measuring 40 mm X 25 mm, in brass for regulars, in blackened brass with red cloth backing by 1st VB and in white metal by 2nd and 3rd VB.

Figure 2 is a Volunteer Bn officers version with mounted design in silver plated finish and in unplayed nickel, worn by the 2nd and the 3rd VB and perhaps by the 1st VB.

Figure 3 is a an officer's badge in silver plate with mounted design worn by 1st VB.

Figure 4 is the badge introduced in 1902, measuring 41 mm X 33 mm and produced in yellow, white, blackened metal etc.

Figure 1 has a fan shaped flame albeit the shape reminiscent of the RWF's badge and it has the "QUO FATA VOCANT" motto circlet as later worn by RNF though not in bimetal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201101_161612.jpg (32.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 01-11-20 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I don't think so, Ihave an idea that a Crown Imperial article showed a NF or RNF that varied from the norm, it may have been a NF or RNF with the NF style rounded fan of flames but motto circlet instead of name.

RRF adopted the rose and primrose stable belt of the LF but with the brass plate and AA badge although some of the old leather strap fastening belts of the LF soldiered on alongside them.
The strap fittings have made a reappearance in more recent times I think, and I've seen images of the Drums wearing silver coloured belt plates.

I think the NF Band wore Blues, the Drums Full Dress with Fusilier Caps at the time of amalgamation into RRF in 1968.
Thanks Leigh, interesting. Just to be clear my question was relating only to the OP’s query concerning a looped badge rather than the shape of flames.
Old 01-11-20, 05:47 PM

I mention the flame pattern as the OP raised the subject of RNF badges having differing flames, I cant think of RNF using the fan pattern as worn by NF and wonder if there's a confusion with the NF badge with fan shaped flames and motto circlet being thought of as a RNF badge?