British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-21, 01:16 AM

Default Help with authentication of WW2 Royal Marine Blues Uniform

I was wondering what the membership thought of this uniform (see photos). It would be easy to add the bullion combined operations patch to an original uniform thus increasing its value. I know next to nothing about WW2 British Royal Marine uniforms. The only photograph I could find of someone in a Royal Marine blues jacket with a combined operations patch (see photo) has it sewn on the left shoulder not the right shoulder as with this uniform. In addition the combined operations patch was usually worn in pairs with a right and left facing so they pointed forward. This bullion combined operations patch is facing backwards. There is no provenance what so ever. Any ideas as to authenticity?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 13-02-21, 08:37 AM

I’m no expert but looking at ‘Personal Distinctions- 350 years of Royal Marines Uniforms and Insignia’ by John Rawlinson, it confirms the Combined Ops badges were issued for the ‘blue serge suit’ but it is not clear whether that was the red on blue version sewn onto the blue battledress or a bullion version used on dress blues. The red marksman’s badge was right for the ‘second blue suit’ (i.e. not the first one used for parades).

Personally I’d be cautious about gold bullion and red badges appearing on the same uniform, especially when the Combined Ops badge is facing backwards, but strange things happened in wartime, when there were thousands of marines and shortages of badges.

Here’s hoping someone with better knowledge can enlighten us both....
Old 13-02-21, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
I’m no expert but looking at ‘Personal Distinctions- 350 years of Royal Marines Uniforms and Insignia’ by John Rawlinson, it confirms the Combined Ops badges were issued for the ‘blue serge suit’ but it is not clear whether that was the red on blue version sewn onto the blue battledress or a bullion version used on dress blues. The red marksman’s badge was right for the ‘second blue suit’ (i.e. not the first one used for parades).

Personally I’d be cautious about gold bullion and red badges appearing on the same uniform, especially when the Combined Ops badge is facing backwards, but strange things happened in wartime, when there were thousands of marines and shortages of badges.

Thanks for your input.
Old 13-02-21, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post

There were two different versions of the blue uniform, No.1's and No. 3's ... the No. 3's had Red Chevrons ,S.Q. badges and Marksman qualifications in red ... they were never mixed.
Old 13-02-21, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
There were two different versions of the blue uniform, No.1's and No. 3's ... the No. 3's had Red Chevrons ,S.Q. badges and Marksman qualifications in red ... they were never mixed.
Thanks for shaving your knowledge about these types of uniforms. I'm going to pass on this uniform.