British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-13, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudiere1944 View Post
It would appear there is a tremendous diversity that exists with the Regiment in what they had and wore. Picture four is of what looks like a variant of a Dennison Smock with a photograph of the Lieutenant who wore it during the war attached to it.
I'm certainly no expert on Canadian material, but that's certainly not a Denison smock. It looks like a fairly standard Windproof jacket, worn by British and Canadian troops from the Autumn of 1944. It has a hood & was meant to be worn with over trousers in the same camouflage.
BP
Old 03-05-13, 06:18 PM

Hi Clive,

That must have been after I drank that bottle of Scotch that I promised you the CFSC I hope it makes it into one of your future publications!

Hi Philip,

I love the observation about the Flag...well done!!!

BP,

Thank you kindly for the clarification and update to the thread.

Best,
Mike
Old 03-05-13, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Now, if it was that $26,000 scotch that walked out of the LCBO, we know how much value Mike puts on that cap.
Old 03-05-13, 09:55 PM

Bill...I was hoping no one recognized my photo from that theft

Mike
Old 03-05-13, 10:41 PM

I know that we are straying off topic here but Mike, you had better not leave it to me in your Will as it may result in you experiencing a considerably shortened life-expectancy.
Old 04-05-13, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudiere1944 View Post
Regarding these Blue Flashed Chaudière Helmets...I am engaged in a spirited debate on the linked Forum which I rarely visit and have made 6 total posts (5 on this topic).

I have been called 'stupid' and 'ignorant' by the owner of the Helmet. Maybe I should have ignored the guy who posted and instead focused on the Hockey Playoffs...but I could not let the spread of this false Helmet go without addressing it.

By the way...thanks Clive for chiming in!

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=668250

And in the spirit of contributing to this Forum...my attachment is a little something I picked up last year and am very honoured to have added to my growing collection for the Chaudière. It is a Coloured Field Service Cap to an Other Ranks Chaudière...these are extremely rare/scarce and I was fortunate to snag it.

Best,
Mike Kennelly
And his stupid helmet was still hung on a fencepost and used for target practice. If that is shrapnel damage, I'll eat an um, ah, extra croissante! Wishful thinking, and bluster and insults instead of informed debate never do make my day.
Old 04-05-13, 05:25 PM

Hi Clive,

I just changed my Will.

Are you going to be at the CSMMI Convention in June? If so I will bring the CFSC along to show you...I will be accompanied by a full security detail just in case

I also want to thank the members here on this Forum for your support in the WAF debate...it is much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by chaudiere1944; 05-05-13 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 06:42 PM

One other observation - The soldier's name and number can be found on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. Easy enough to look up if somebody wanted to embellish a helmet.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 04-05-13, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
One other observation - The soldier's name and number can be found on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. Easy enough to look up if somebody wanted to embellish a helmet.

Phil
Re Mike's irksome lid, are my eyes deceiving me or is this a thumb print in the paint on both the name and the base colour on this lid? And where are the maker marks? I can't see a C<- anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01613.jpg (57.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-05-13, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Re Mike's irksome lid, are my eyes deceiving me or is this a thumb print in the paint on both the name and the base colour on this lid? And where are the maker marks? I can't see a C<- anywhere.
Looks like it could be a print! I believe the mkIII helmets were British made only at that time, but the liner should be stamped somewhere.
If anyone's not following the thread on WAF it's worth it for entertainment value. The owner of the helmet has just asked if another member takes drugs to come up with his counter theories.
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 05-05-13, 03:11 PM

I went thru this entire thread again and noticed something that needed to be updated.

In post 15 there was a question "Bill,ever saw those blue titles for the RdeChaud that John Swan had a few years ago???
Jo"

This was later followed by e-mail correspondence Sept 5, 2009 by me with John Swan who said it was not a Chaudière Title. Here is that correspondence:

Mike:
I have been in touch with Bill Alexander in ref to that British Badge Forum comment regarding the blue Chaudiere flash. Bill is an old friend from 30 years back, and when I mentioned this to him , he said he recalled the thread, but thought that it was in reference to a Cape Breton Highlanders flash, and that Voltigeur had gotten it mixed up with that.
Bottom line is that I`m sure I don`t have such an animal, have never had such an animal, nor have I ever heard of such a flash. As such, I am certain that a misunderstanding has led to this false belief that such a flash exists, so I can assure you that this must in fact, be the case.
I too saw that blue QOR flash- in my opinion, it is strictly an error flash, as the QOR, being rifles would not have allowed this flash to knowingly be made/approved/worn. It has to be an error item, I believe, and therefore, not legitimate.

I mention this least it be used by those predicating the Blue Helmet Flash story.

Mike
Old 06-05-13, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Looks like it could be a print! I believe the mkIII helmets were British made only at that time, but the liner should be stamped somewhere.
If anyone's not following the thread on WAF it's worth it for entertainment value. The owner of the helmet has just asked if another member takes drugs to come up with his counter theories.
Lee
LOl You guys just won't leave that poor lid alone. IT was DavidS WAF that was asked if he was on drugs lol.

Kelly
Old 29-08-13, 05:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I need some help to identify this Regiment de la Chaudiere's shoulder title.
Thanks for your help
Maisie

Old 01-09-13, 01:15 AM

Default looks bad

when ever I see that white fluffy backing it sends up the fantasy flag..the title looks bad to me..
Old 01-09-13, 05:07 PM

I concur with Mike R....this is a Fantasy Piece due to the Backing material. Perhaps Bill A can give us a better description of this Backing material.

The front of this Title is based upon a known Second World War type/variant. I have attached an authentic Title both Front and Back for comparison. In an article I wrote for the latest CSMMI Journal I identified this Title as TYPE 4 British Made.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 4 Front.jpg (34.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Type 4 Back.jpg (63.6 KB, 28 views)

Tags
chaudière, patch, shoulder title