British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-21, 10:08 AM

Hi Mike and others

This badge also shows an unusual feature in that the Gaunt name appears to have been applied to the die as a solid punch (see raised line top and bottom). I'd always thought that there was some dear old thing punching the Gaunt name laboriously into the hammer head.

BTW, the numbering must have been done when the badge was supported (the sheer pressure to impress them would have distorted the work otherwise) and the regularity would suggest some way of altering numbers much like weapons, etc. are numbered.

The top corner is smooth and well shaped , unlike others that appear more 'pointed' or 'flatter' due to difficulty in shaping caused by pin fitting getting in the way.

One area of doubt is that it has a 5 figure (early) number 94618 , so if Gaunt manufactured this style why go back to the 'pointed' version ?

So, although I now have both Gaunt and Wylie versions there is no definitive proof that they were 'manufactured' this way and they may 'possibly' just be the result of 'modification' by a skillful jeweller/metal worker !
Old 12-02-21, 10:11 AM

Sorry Mike

I appear to have added your comments and mine all together! Been a very long few days.....
Old 16-02-21, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
This badge also shows an unusual feature in that the Gaunt name appears to have been applied to the die as a solid punch (see raised line top and bottom).
I also noted that , it doesn't look like a clean 'strike' and I wonder if the metal had not properly cooled . This could also explain the 'ripple' ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-02-21, 10:04 PM

Hi Mike and others

Could well be the reason for this.

Trawling through some photos I took a year or two back for a collector who was contemplating a catalogue of OWS badges, I came across this image.

I have others that I will post later but it gives you some idea of the vast differences in design, size, wording and even colour that were produced. I've collected these for a few years now and still see examples that are completely new to me. If any member would like to add a comment regarding any of the firms represented, please feel free to do so.

I've identified some of the ones where you have a full name but the ones that just use initials are worse than a cryptic crossword!

Oh and if anyone wants a better image, just let me know. These were done on an elderly flatbed scanner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsassted9.jpg (46.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 27-02-21, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Trawling through some photos I took a year or two back for a collector who was contemplating a catalogue of OWS badges, I came across this image.

I have others that I will post later but it gives you some idea of the vast differences in design, size, wording and even colour that were produced.
A while back , during one of my many 'internet searches' I came across an old auction site catalogue with over 100 OWS badges . Lots of photos with many of the firms identified , I considered downloading the photos as a reference ....

.......but , as it wasn't my main area of collecting (and being too lazy !) I didn't bother.

If you have the time and patience it may help you identify some of your badges , there are also some Old Comrades/War Veterans Associations badges.

Lot 166 - Lot 221

https://bid.candtauctions.co.uk/m/vi...g/id/11?page=4

Old 27-02-21, 12:16 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

That is a great link Mike. Thanks for posting that. There are some really nice examples and I think I would have been tempted by many of them......unfortunately my pocket would not stretch that far. It is fascinating though to see the different styles and designs.
Old 27-02-21, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
That is a great link Mike. Thanks for posting that. There are some really nice examples and I think I would have been tempted by many of them......unfortunately my pocket would not stretch that far. It is fascinating though to see the different styles and designs.
The majority of single badges went for around £40 each but the Port of London one fetched £130 !

Old 28-02-21, 06:38 AM

Hi Mike and James

Many thanks for the links. Some "old friends" but a lot that I've never seen before.

Many more badges to collect I fear!

Here are some more for comment and/or identification.

Again, better photos available of any particular badge available upon request.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsassted.jpg (26.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 28-02-21, 06:46 AM

Default On War Service mystery?

Hi all

Any comments re this badge? Clearly some form of medical service connection. Oh, and pin-backed so possibly for female wear.
Attached Images
File Type: png owscross.PNG (113.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-03-21, 09:43 AM

Default Central Depot?

Hi

Can any member please identify what this badge represents? I've seen the "crowned B" pinback before as a separate item but not one with these "service bars".

I suspect that the clue lies in the crown (ducal???) and the "B" is for someone of nobility much as the Princess Mary tin's pencil has a crowned "M".

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centraldepot.jpg (41.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-03-21, 10:31 AM

Princess Beatrice.

"Princess Beatrice's War Hospital Supply Depot in Cavendish Square."

There is also a "League of Remembrance"( a continuation of the War Hospital Supply Depot movement) version.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beatrice.jpg (44.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 10-03-21 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-03-21, 06:18 PM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for this (as always!).

As I typed this post, the name of Princess Beatrice had been rattling around in my mind so good to have it confirmed!
Old 13-03-21, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Todays bargain ! (Buy it Now only £50.00)

Extremely Rare ON WAR SERVICE 1915 BADGE

"This badge is is identical to the Gaunt London Blue/white enameled badge but for some reason its not been through the enamelling process, it's the only badge of its type I've ever seen in over 30 years of badge collecting and possibly the only one of its type".
According to the listing someone actually bought this badge for £50.00 !

Old 13-03-21, 01:57 PM

Re the badge sold for £50 without enamel. This may have been picked up previously (I've not read every post here, so apologies if it has) but there appears to be remnants of enamelling. I assume the enamel was cracked or missing pieces and someone cleaned out the rest (a laborious process but if you get £50...). I highlighted two areas that look to have extant enamel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OWS.jpg (48.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 13-03-21, 03:40 PM

I thought I had one of those shown by Londonclanger so dug deep into my Junk box and came up with this. Obviously NOT the same but which War was this issued in and is it traceable by the number? Would appreciate any information. Best regards, David J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F9D4765-7470-4686-8CEB-A7D6F23109E0.jpg (38.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 9FB6F067-92F5-4D07-9AEE-9FCCEA3377BA.jpg (35.5 KB, 7 views)