British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-21, 03:25 AM

Mike re your search for the Battlefields Pilgrimage book, I did a quick check on Abe Books and found this, but suspect it is the one you already have based on the blue cover.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...1928&kn=&isbn=

And found this on eBay, but again not the 1928 version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Bri...EAAOSwXvRgEH7A

Will advise if I run across a copy.

Terry
Old 20-02-21, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Mike re your search for the Battlefields Pilgrimage book, I did a quick check on Abe Books and found this, but suspect it is the one you already have based on the blue cover.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...1928&kn=&isbn=

And found this on eBay, but again not the 1928 version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Bri...EAAOSwXvRgEH7A

Will advise if I run across a copy.

Terry
Hi Terry , thanks for looking.

The blue covered one is the 'official' one that I already have , though mine is in nowhere near as good condition (or a signed first edition) .

The other one looks interesting but I'm concentrating on the "Great Pilgrimage" at the moment.

Appreciate your help.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-02-21, 11:46 PM

Default BL Remembrance Day?

Hi Mike and others

Any more thoughts on the BL Remembrance badge and/or a possible date for the branch badge?

From what I've found, Miller used this address for many years so an exact date might be hard to place. I wonder if the fact that they have used a small BL badge as a centre could be a clue.

However think of how big the badge would have been if they'd been working off the "big 'un"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg britleg.jpg (53.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 24-02-21, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Any more thoughts on the BL Remembrance badge and/or a possible date for the branch badge?
The West Bridgford branch was inaugurated in 1935 and is still going today , I have dropped their chairman an e-mail (he is ex Royal Artillery) and see if he can provide any information.

Edit : Just got a reply , unfortunately the branch closed due to diminishing membership but the ex-chairman is going to ask the members support officer at the country branch to see if they have any information.

Last edited by mike_vee; 24-02-21 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 24-02-21, 10:50 AM

Only information about H.W. Miller Ltd. I could find was that they were founded by William Miller and Harold William Miller took over in 1935 , they ceased operating in 1978.

But I guess you've already found this info.

Quote:
I wonder if the fact that they have used a small BL badge as a centre could be a clue.

Although the 'small' badge was introduced in 1945 the minature versions were available from 1921 , also I think they have chosen the size purely to fit in with the badge design so that doesn't really help with dating.

One point I have noticed is that the lion head is what I call the "shaved chin" version (not a full mane) , this is a similar style to the post 1945 Gaunt tiepins and cufflinks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tie Pin.jpg (62.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 24-02-21 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 24-02-21, 08:18 PM

Hello Mike

Many thanks for all your great information and the extra effort that you have gone to. Much appreciated and I'm sure other members will be interested too.

You will appreciate that, with a lot of this stuff, it is largely a question of knowing who to ask.

I did have some info on Miller but not as much as you have been able to glean.

Love the idea of the "shaved chin"! There is a badge that turns up here from time to time that has a native warrior holding a spear that resembles Kate Moss for physique and has acquired various nicknames amongst collectors....
Old 07-03-21, 10:07 AM

Default Some new thoughts on the BL Remembrance Day badge?

Hi

Been trying to work out a bit more on that BL Remembrance Day badge and have found that the maker is R A Jones & Sons of High Street Southend-on Sea.

As it turns out, they have their hallmark registered at the Birmingham assay Office.

The dates given for their mark are 1931 to 1939 (sans serif mark) with a serifed mark in 1936. The hallmarks are in raised letters while this mark is incuse.

What also occurred to me is that the symbolism of the three poppies against the white cross may be a reference to the common image of the three crosses on Calvary.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-03-21, 12:37 AM

Default Small BL screw backs

Hi Mike and other BL fans

Lockdown has made me "re-discover" some stuff from way back.

Therefore interested in any comments as to the age of these. The one badge is pierced and the other not. The "M" numbering on the one badge seems familiar from previous posts.

As a general comment, I had tended to associate the type of screw back fitting with the small toothed "wheel" with Canadian or American items.

Comments welcome as always!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallblbadges.jpg (33.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg smallblbadges1.jpg (40.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-03-21, 07:32 AM

The pierced/voided badge is similar to a Birmingham Medal Co. one that I have (still attached to card/in box) and the other one (with letter M) is a post 1945 Gaunt version , the letter indicating miniature.

Here is a selection that I have :

Old 08-03-21, 09:15 AM

Hello Mike

I was certain that you would have the answer! Many thanks for all that information.

I'm wildly intrigued that they should have numbered the miniatures.

Seeing your lineup of badges makes me realise that I think I have one of those "fob chain" badges (with the loop) lurking around somewhere.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-21, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Hello Mike

I was certain that you would have the answer! Many thanks for all that information.

I'm wildly intrigued that they should have numbered the miniatures.

Seeing your lineup of badges makes me realise that I think I have one of those "fob chain" badges (with the loop) lurking around somewhere.

Thanks again
The "fob chain" badge is sometimes referred to as a 'dangler' but BL advertisments call it a "pendant".

A 1937 official BL price list states that miniatures/tiepins/pendants are "To be sold only to members in possession of the officially numbered Badge".

The numbering/lettering of the miniatures seems to be a Gaunt practice and your post got me checking the various items in my photo . I have now discovered that the Gaunt cufflinks are individually numbered and have the letter L on them , so if buying it's worth checking they are a matched/paired set.

Here is my theory regarding the post WW2 letters/numbers :

When membership numbers exceeded 999,999 Gaunt adopted the "series" system (same as 1915 OWS badges) and initially used an 'A' then moved on to 'A1' for the small (20mm) badges.

It is possible that on the ordering forms the type/size of badge was indicated by a letter and subsequently this letter plus the last four or more digits of the membership number were used for identification on all items.

I keep having to update the "British Legion Badges - Letters" thread as more details/letters turn up.

EDIT : I have not seen any miniature items produced by Gaunt from 1921 -1928 that have Gaunt MM but there are unmarked items , all the miniature Birmingham items I have are makers marked but do not have any letter or number.

Last edited by mike_vee; 08-03-21 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-03-21, 09:20 PM

Hello Mike

I would really like to thank you for your regular responses to my posts. This is what our hobby should be all about!
Old 11-03-21, 04:15 PM

Question Economy Gold Badge

Spotted what I thought was a gold hallmarked Women's Section badge and snapped it up ! Didn't really check the details or the actual hallmark but later on had a good look and discovered it is "Silver Gilt".

From Assay Office site :
  • The term ‘Silver gilt’ may be used to describe gold plated silver, providing a specific gold fineness is not applied as part of the description e.g. silver gilt ring.
  • The gold plated layer must be of fineness of at least 375 parts per thousand and should not exceed 2 microns in thickness.

It is a really nice badge but it got me wondering if this was an "economy" version of the 'Gold Award' badge ?

While a Branch may have wanted to reward a member for their service they may not have wanted/been able to spend the funds required for a solid gold badge.

The "British Legion Memorabilia" website lists the manufacturer ( B.H.C. & Co ) as a maker of gold badges in 1980 , my 'gilt' badge is hallmarked 1978 so perhaps they also were 'fooled' ?

I have a later WS "Golden Award" badge which is not gold or even gilt but simply gold tone , so perhaps the habit of solid gold badges is dying out ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Front.jpg (60.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg WS Rear.jpg (60.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WS Golden Award F.jpg (75.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WS Golden Award R.jpg (94.2 KB, 6 views)

Old 11-03-21, 09:42 PM

Hi Mike

Nice additions to your collection! I suspect that cost is a factor in the decision to award "silver gilt" as opposed to solid gold. I recently purchased a small length of 9ct wire and that was a bit eye-watering....
Old 29-03-21, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I spotted an 'unusual' British Legion badge , it had what appeared to be a brass disc/backplate.
The disc is well made and appears to be a 'safety' fitting to stop the badge from coming out of a button hole. I have never seen this before.
Spotted another gold badge with disc/backplate (in original box) on a dealers site , so it would appear that the disc was supplied with the badge and wasn't a 'homemade' item.

PS - Sorry pic is small but was 'cropped' from larger photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back plate.jpg (21.8 KB, 151 views)