British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-20, 01:20 PM

I hope the 9/10 pearl issue will one day be resolved, but in the mean time, despite gov efforts to restrict these, and deposits paid etc, I believe they were not too hard to come by. My Grandfather had a 1914 Dingley marked 1914 badge in his possessions, despite being 15 in 1914. He was over 6' tall by then, so maybe he got hold of one somehow to keep the feather bearers at bay. Its also stands to reason when demand outstrips supply, enterprise steps in to fill the gap, so maybe these (and the 9 pearl badges) were faked for a needy market. All speculation, but possible

cheers, Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Came across the site I got this info from and found the second part of this letter interesting :

"Judge of my surprise when I saw the self-same badges advertised for sale by a Birmingham firm of button makers. I have also seen colorable (sic) imitations".

So , even in the early days when these badges were being officially issued there were copies/imitations being sold.

Perhaps the badges with 'errors' are actually 105 year old fakes !

Old 16-12-20, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
Interesting Mike, I've not seen a 1914 erased one I don't think. I'm sure you know the 1915's were, still conjecture as to why. Thanks for showing it, I'll be looking out for that now.

Also on your Gaunt maker marked enamelled ones, I also have not ever seen the third one either, and I have looked at loads of these over the years. Another super interesting find!

Cheers, Tim
Hi Tim , when I first started collecting (not long ago) I just assumed that a lot of the badges were exactly the same but now I double check everything and it is the little details that catch my eye.

I also wonder why certain badges have been restamped/reissued , possibly some of the factories could do the work 'in house' and save a few bob or it could be to save paperwork/admin/time ?

The third Gaunt makers mark is on a relatively low numbered badge but I've no idea which order the three different marks were used or why ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-12-20, 09:42 PM

Hi all

I think I have an erased 1914 one somewhere and certainly a renumbered one.

I'm contemplating buying one of those fairly common round Coventry Ordnance Works "Special Service" badges that has been issued at least THREE times and the previous issue number XXXed out.

The badge has subsequently suffered a certain amount of deforming as they would not have bothered to properly support it when stamping it.

Usual dilemma is that I don't think it's worth what they want for it. Previous attempts to suggest a small discount on other items have been declined so, as a result, they have a LARGE stock!
Old 16-12-20, 10:57 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Lovely example of the ‘Did Her Bit’ tribute badges. In superb condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ww1-Munit...wAAOSwTcdfqWkr

Taking offers too.
Old 16-12-20, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

I think I have an erased 1914 one somewhere and certainly a renumbered one.

I'm contemplating buying one of those fairly common round Coventry Ordnance Works "Special Service" badges that has been issued at least THREE times and the previous issue number XXXed out.

The badge has subsequently suffered a certain amount of deforming as they would not have bothered to properly support it when stamping it.

Usual dilemma is that I don't think it's worth what they want for it. Previous attempts to suggest a small discount on other items have been declined so, as a result, they have a LARGE stock!
There is an example of the Coventry Ordnance Works badge on Sally Bosleys which has four different numbers stamped to the rear with consequent distortion. Gives it a nice feel of history.
Old 17-12-20, 09:45 AM

Hi Charliedog

Yep, that's the one. Can't recall the price but it has been there a while now. She has a "generic" enameled OWS badge (damaged) that interested me but wouldn't budge on 40 quid.

That big online market place yielded me a perfect example for around 35 pounds and I see that the one I'd been keen on is....still there.
Old 17-12-20, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Lovely example of the ‘Did Her Bit’ tribute badges. In superb condition.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ww1-Munit...wAAOSwTcdfqWkr

Taking offers too.
I have a round enameled badge with a winged shell on the front that you see from time to time with a backstamp "Did Her bit" and also one for the men with "Didi His bit".

Last edited by dumdum; 18-12-20 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Oh dear... "Didi"? Must be Latin ...Try "Did"!
Old 17-12-20, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The multiple renumbering/reissuing of the Coventry badges would appear to indicate a high turnover of staff possibly due to conscription or workers being injured/killed during bombing raids etc.

In Tom Tulloch-Brown's article he mentions a list of the number of 'official' OWS badges issued to 'approved employers' and gives the figure of 4,469 to Coventry Ordnance. (Ref. "Munitions (War Service Badges)Rules 1915").

Just had a look at those badges and the enamelled one looks great !

While I enjoy spotting/recording 'oddities' I don't think they'll be items I'd collect and , as with the 'unofficial' OWS badges , I'll just admire the albums/collections of other forum members.

Old 17-12-20, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I've not seen a 1914 erased one I don't think. I'm sure you know the 1915's were, still conjecture as to why.
One 'possible' reason is that when the rules/regulations about the issue/wearing of 'official' OWS badges was introduced (plus the review of 'certified occupations' when conscription started) numerous employees were "debadged" so there would have been thousands of badges returned.

It would have been cheaper to reuse/renumber these badges than to scrap them and produce more for new employees.

As Tony James notes at the end of his article :
"So, nearly a hundred years on, there are still questions to be asked and research to be done".

Old 18-12-20, 12:04 AM

Hi Mike and others

All this talk of the COW badge that had had multiple owners (I agree entirely with your suggestion Mike, far cheaper to "whack" another number on a badge!) made me think of one that I have had for some time.

I've not seen one quite like this and it moves away from the "functional" into the "arty".

Why the wee extras such as the green grass, blue skies and, I'm sure, flames coming from the mouth of the 4.5 (???) Howitzer? It's possible that it just looked nicer and also enameling was a widely practised art at the time and even the local jeweller had been trained in it as well.

If anyone can cast any light on the "C.S. Ly" initials or even the "L.C. Co Ltd" that would be much appreciated.

Hope that you appreciate the slightly "rakish angle" of the badges!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsbits.jpg (41.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 18-12-20, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Why the wee extras such as the green grass, blue skies and, I'm sure, flames coming from the mouth of the 4.5 (???) Howitzer?
Not sure about the 'flames' , other badges do not have them .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COW Badge.jpg (83.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 18-12-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 18-12-20, 07:57 AM

It is a stunning badge and looks very professionally done. I cannot recall seeing any other like it but it is a little gem.
When I started collecting the unofficial ‘On War Service’ badges, I would only buy them if I could work out which firm or company they represented.....that has tended to ‘go out of the window’ so to speak.....I was missing out on too desirable badges. I have had a few badges identified by resourceful forum members and the range of knowledge here is phenomenal.
Cheers
James

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 18-12-20 at 08:03 AM.
Old 18-12-20, 09:26 AM

Hi all

Many thanks for that, Mike. There clearly are a few more "in captivity"!

Just checked again and mine definitely has a little bit of red enamel emanating from the muzzle of the gun. It is also unnumbered.
Old 18-12-20, 09:52 AM

Quote:
There clearly are a few more "in captivity"!
I found two , the photo I posted is of one which included details about the worker.

Vasti Marchment, 9 Landsdown Rd, Swindon

Last edited by mike_vee; 18-12-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 18-12-20, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
When I started collecting the unofficial ‘On War Service’ badges, I would only buy them if I could work out which firm or company they represented
The number and variety of the OWS badges is vast and the size of the firms/companies must reflect how many of the badges survived.

The 'list' I posted about earlier also includes details of the number of official badges issued to other companies:

Austin Motor Company , Birmingham - 1458

Chilworth Gunpowder Company Ltd. - 155

Webley & Scott - 290

Explosives & Chemical Products Limited of Finsbury London - 1

Also , Lord Kitchener was approved for the issue of 3 badges !