British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-20, 01:15 PM

Default Bays slider

I think this cap badge is ok, but has had the slider replaced at some stage. Just wondered if any other forum members have a badge with a slider like this, the inside of the slider has some writing on it I.E.HEB
WAT
SET
do you think this slider has been cut out of a sheet ?
P7250111.jpg

P7250114.jpg

P7250112.jpg

P7250116.jpg
Old 26-07-20, 08:52 PM

I served in the Bays until 1947...I do collect Bays badges and possibly have about 50..it's a genuine badge with the reinforcing wire and someone must have given it some stick to break the slider...I agree with you, some one cut up a name plate off something....not made like that..
Old 26-07-20, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Although not perfect makes it a little bit interesting. Makes you wonder who would take the time to bother cutting something up to make a slider.
Old 26-07-20, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper795 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. Although not perfect makes it a little bit interesting. Makes you wonder who would take the time to bother cutting something up to make a slider.
Yes, it does make it interesting, and I for one can appreciate an old genuine repair. It does not harm the badge to any great extent in my opinion. A real old trooper of a badge with the high points polished down.

CB
Old 27-07-20, 07:33 AM

I think he may have cut up something military. Those letters seem to ring a bell, just can’t place them yet.
Old 27-07-20, 09:54 PM

I served in Bays in Italy (in workshops) we some times asked to repair old treasured badges. you used any old bit of brass around.
I have an officers badge that had broken blades, no way could we have replaced the blades and a slider was fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0Baysfitters..jpg (65.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 27-07-20, 11:05 PM

Sketchly kid. Thanks for the info, I was having a hard time thinking why would any soldier bother taking time and trouble to repair a cap badge. I just assumed they would draw another from stores or use a spare. But then I served during the 80s when we had staybrite, every one always had a few cap badges and they just were not worth repairing. Just chuck it and wear another. I forget that a soldier with a GM cap badge would have valued it more, especially as the more worn it became the more it distinguished him from the new boys, never mind the time and effort to polish it up. So in one way it has opened my eyes.
Chris.