British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-18, 05:12 AM

New Guinea Force AA Brigade 1942

Formed effective 20 May 42 with a heavy AA group of Australian hy AA btys and a searchlight company RAE; one lt AA group of Australian lt AA btys with 40mm Bofors; one lt AA group primarily based on 101 CA Bn (Sep) (AA) and a couple of Australian AALMG troops with Vickers on AA mountings.

CO and Brigade Major were originally US Army, other appointments were Australian. Began to break-up about Aug-Sep 42, to form AA Group MORESBY from the Hy AA Group, Australian lt AA became briefly NG Lt AA Regt before dispersing, and the US blokes went their own way. Bde HQ remained as HQ Composite AA Defences NG Force until late in 1943.

They produced a book, On Target in 1943, has this emblem on the cover.

Keith
Old 08-09-18, 05:21 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
I don't know how the war in the Pacific is presented down under but here it was fought by 6 marine divisions, the US Navy, and B-29's, moving across the central Paciific. Everything else is lost in a dusty archive somewhere. Did I mention John Wayne?
MacArthur won the Pacific war single-handed while the Australians went to the races apparently

I must write to the Australian War Memorial and let them know that all the pictures of the Australian tanks knocked out at Buna and the casualty lists for the 18th and 30th Aust Infantry Brigades must be fakes because years ago I read Bloody Buna and it didn't even mention that the Australians were there.

Keith
Old 08-09-18, 07:36 AM

thanks keith for that concise history.
certainly an interesting subject and a mystery badge.
i assume you've never seen or heard of this badge being worn?
cheers
bc
Old 08-09-18, 09:47 AM

Hi bc,

No, never heard of it previously. It might have been a private commission by a US officer of AA Bde HQ as a Distinguishing Unit Insignia on his 'pinks and greens' (or walking-out dress, whatever they called them). 101 Sep Bn CA(AA) already had their own DUI from their days as a cavalry regiment of the US National Guard.

I'm not certain that the US Army approved new DUI during the war period and perhaps the unit followed the British Commonwealth practice of simply designing and procuring their own until somebody higher up the food chain told them to take it off.

Keith
Old 09-09-18, 10:37 AM

thanks Keith
I can understand the DUI thinking however, if it was an American style DUI I would have expected it to be pin or clutch back as per there other Australian made badges.
this is lugged therefore I would have thought more an aussie influence?
is there an association or alike that I could contact in the hope someone can ID it?
cheers
bc
Old 11-09-18, 02:03 AM

Hi BC,

I agree with your thinking about the fasteners. If it was US I would expect a pin fastener. I have gone through my reference for US coast artillery and AAA units. Nothing. And it doesn’t look like an American insignia.

The US Army stopped procuring this type of insignia shortly after entering the war to conserve scarce raw materials and labor. Many examples seen today were made after the war ended, many before units redeployed to the states.

Don
Old 11-09-18, 07:29 AM

thanks for your time Don
the mystery continues
bc
Old 12-09-18, 12:14 AM

I am aware that many 'unofficial' badges were produced for the post war years, when many reunions took place and the sale of such items helped raise money for their welfare funds.

A common practice with former U.S. service personnel into the post-Vietnam era.

Dave
Old 12-09-18, 03:29 AM

Around the 1940's Stokes and Sons made buttons for Ansett Airways with an almost identical 'AA' arrangement.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-...O/223132977607
Could it be a shoulder title for an airline captain?
Old 12-09-18, 08:54 PM

Runic1901 seems to have cracked it. Ebay link doesn't seem to work, but here's another Ansett Airways buttons link: http://www.ausbuttonhistory.com/?p=9343

Rgds, Thomas
Old 13-09-18, 09:17 AM

thanks guys
yes, it would appear so. well, at least another avenue to investigate.
thanks again
bc