British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-20, 01:41 AM

This photo is possibly clearer. Certainly shows less of the throw over the chair.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916s.jpg (49.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-10-20, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Also observe the size differences between the two Wylie round cornered badges.

The badges vary in thickness too.
Any chance of close up photos ((front & back) of the two Wylie badges please.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 11-10-20, 09:50 AM

Sure, Mike. Not a problem and I'm supposed to pick up another round corner badge this week so I'll include that too.
Old 11-10-20, 09:43 PM

Hi Mike

Here are the photos you asked for. I will upload the third one when it is in my hands!

By the way the smaller of the two is around 1.7mm thick, the larger one 1.4mm, if my somewhat basic ability to read a vernier gauge is to be trusted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916s2.jpg (33.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1916s3.jpg (29.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-10-20, 10:01 AM

Hi Mike

Here is the 1916 round cornered badge. I notice that it is by Gaunt, London and is thinner than the "thick" Wylie badge. I can measure it but it may be even thinner than the other "round" Wylie example.

Maybe not especially visible in what are not the best photos, is that fact that the G has been obliterated somehow so it is by that very rarest of firms...... AUNT & SON Ld, LONDON!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaunt1916.jpg (19.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg gaunt19161.jpg (26.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-10-20, 12:58 PM

Quote:
By the way the smaller of the two is around 1.7mm thick, the larger one 1.4mm, if my somewhat basic ability to read a vernier gauge is to be trusted!
Thanks for the photos , the larger badge is the Gaunt one discussed earlier but the smaller (Wylie) one is very interesting.

One thing I have found with on-line photos is they can be misleading due to lighting , positioning and angle of picture.

At first glance I thought the Wylie badge was a lot smaller than normal but on closer examination I think it is just a trick of the eye (like optical illusion).

Pic 1 makes it appear there is a big difference in sizes but the badges aren't on the same baseline.

Pic 2 shows that when they are squared up and on the same baseline the only real difference is caused by the 'rounding' of the top point.

Purely going on the photos and the fact that the Wylie badge is thicker , in my opinion it appears very similar to the one I have (and believe to manufactured rather than modified).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916s pic 1.jpg (54.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1916s pic 2.jpg (31.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-10-20, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike

Here is the 1916 round cornered badge. I notice that it is by Gaunt, London and is thinner than the "thick" Wylie badge. I can measure it but it may be even thinner than the other "round" Wylie example.

Maybe not especially visible in what are not the best photos, is that fact that the G has been obliterated somehow so it is by that very rarest of firms...... AUNT & SON Ld, LONDON!!!!!!
Unfortunatey I think this is another 'modified' rather than manufactured badge. It looks like a more careful/professional job but the corners still have the 'sloping' edges from trimming/filing and the 'obliterated' G an indication it has been held in a vice.

I don't think I'll be adding an AUNT & SON Ld, LONDON to my wanted list !

So the search goes on , I'm convinced Wylie did manufacture a thick/heavy round corner badge but am yet to see a Gaunt example that I would be happy with.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaunt19161 round 2.jpg (72.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 12-10-20 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add photo
Old 12-10-20, 11:07 PM

Hi Mike

I'll do what I should have done in the first place and photograph all three badges together along with my favourite little stainless steel rule that is always missing when I need it!

Interested in your comments about the loops, safety pins and other alterations to the badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916s4.jpg (41.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1916s5.jpg (42.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-10-20, 11:30 PM

Hi Mike (and any others with an interest in this subject!)

I dug out these 1916 associated items. I thought that the card was of interest but am just wondering if Vickers still want it back... in view of the fact that it wasn't to be removed!

Gives an idea of the level of organsiation that went into the whole production of munitions, quite apart from making the stuff.

The armband was also a wee find I thought. No marks apart from a couple of traces of a "sticky label" from various past sales I suspect.

The badge is an absolutely mint Wylie & Co, London (single line) and is numbered 308041.

I did post these pics earlier but I was still coming to terms with how to take semi-decent photo so they were suffered from a fish eye lens effect. All very arty, but not much use for our purposes...

I also have a 1916 badge still in its paper wrapping. This, from memory, has a very low number (possibly 4-digits). I have seen other ones listed also with similar low numbers, and also still wrapped up.

The wrapping has the number inked to the paper. Must dig THAT one out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916s6.jpg (42.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1916s7.jpg (31.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1916s8.jpg (51.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 13-10-20, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike

I'll do what I should have done in the first place and photograph all three badges together along with my favourite little stainless steel rule that is always missing when I need it!

Interested in your comments about the loops, safety pins and other alterations to the badges.
The first (dark) Gaunt badge looks to have its original pin and fitting , the second Gaunt one appears to have had the pin removed at some point (possibly when badge was cleaned/modified) and it has not been closed up again properly (top clasp slightly damaged). The Wylie badge has probably lost its original pin at some point and it has been replaced with a crudely made one.

When you see all the badges together and have back views you can make more accurate judgements , thanks for posting them.

Old 13-10-20, 09:56 AM

The associated items are great , they give a real insight into the issue and recording of the badges. A lot of the paperwork , packaging etc must have simply been thrown way as rubbish , yet 100 years later we treat it like lost treasures.

Appreciate you taking the time and effort , that is what the forum is about - sharing knowledge.

Old 13-10-20, 06:44 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks again for your comments. I will dig out the "wrapped" 1916. I think that it is its Gaunt (not Aunt........) packaging.

The pin on that Wylie one looks suspiciously like one of those trombone paper clips. I do have some old badge pins so might just replace it with one of the correct gauge as it has always annoyed me more than a tad.

Watch your post as I will send you that small "thanks" we discussed!
Old 13-10-20, 07:57 PM

Default 1915 and 1916 all wrapped up....

Hi Mike and others (as always!)

Here is the 1916 triangle in its original wrapping plus a 1915 with its original cardboard box (the top flap torn off by some "eager" recipient...)

I carefully unwrapped the paper to see if it did match the number on the outside(it did!) and then put it back. Interesting to see that the original finish on the badge is actually slightly "frosted".

I think by the time we collectors get them they've had years of polishing. You can imagine that their owners would have wanted to make a statement on the tram/ omnibus/ train (or in the pub!) and so got to work with Brasso!

I recall seeing one other wrapped 1916 badge for sale and it was also a 4-digit number, begging the question that maybe there was a batch that was never issued.

Given the "telephone numbers" on the ones we see you wonder how this lot slipped through.

Anyone else seen more wrapped badges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owswraps.jpg (29.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg owswraps1.jpg (27.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg owswraps2.jpg (35.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg owswraps3.jpg (28.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-10-20, 07:41 AM

Thanks DumDum

fantastic to see these in their original packets.

Cheers, Tim
Old 14-10-20, 09:36 AM

Hi Tim

Thanks for that. I've had these for a few years and it's really great to be able to share with others. also great to learn from others whose knowledge far exceeds mine.

Wish I'd found the Forum a few years ago!