British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-12, 01:27 PM

Default Highland Belt Colors

I just traded for a wide 3 inch belt, I think is a scottish highland belt. It has many WWI cap badges and shoulder titles attached. Also has a small leather pouch with brass CANADA title on the front. The snap on the pouch was made in France, so maybe this was an add on. What I would like to know is where can I find the unit this was for, it is a light brown with three darker brown stripes bordered with small whilte stripes. Has an ornate silver colored belt buckle. Would appreciate any advise on this, and apologize if I have any terms incorrect. Ken
Old 15-10-12, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16thcdnscottish View Post
I just traded for a wide 3 inch belt, I think is a scottish highland belt. It has many WWI cap badges and shoulder titles attached. Also has a small leather pouch with brass CANADA title on the front. The snap on the pouch was made in France, so maybe this was an add on. What I would like to know is where can I find the unit this was for, it is a light brown with three darker brown stripes bordered with small whilte stripes. Has an ornate silver colored belt buckle. Would appreciate any advise on this, and apologize if I have any terms incorrect. Ken
The British Army has traditionally worn "stable belts", these are belts done in regimental colours.

Some good info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable_belt

I'm far from being an expert on them, but you may wish to start your research using that search term. A photograph would help others assist you. I know very little about them, but your description of an "ornate" belt buckle doesn't make it sound like what I know about stable belts.

Note the colour schedule on the Wikipedia site shows current regiments of the British Army and does show some of the older ones, but there have been many amalgamations and reorganizations since the era you are discussing.

Sorry I can't help more.