British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-10, 12:11 PM

Default bombers cloth badge

How cane help me out?

I'm working on to reconstruct a ww1 canadian cut away tunic markt 1915. The cloth and metal badges were remove of the tunic , but you cane see clear that ther whas a bombers badge on the sleeve and sergeant strips.

M'n question is:

Did the canadians only worn the bleu bomber badge or olso the red(british styl)cloth bomber badge. I have a british styl cloth badge but i just wondering if that the canadians did worn this typ? And whas the bleu one only worn by the canadians and when whas this on introdust?

Well sorry for m'n english and kind regards, Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sergant.strpisL.jpg (20.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 23-08-10, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Morning Hans, Some information in reference to your requests. The Canadian Corps wore the red grenade for infantry bombers. The blue grenade was a distinction that trench mortar gunners wore. These were the same practices as in the imperial army. Many Canadian metal and cloth badges were acquired in the UK, so it is correct to have a British pattern badge on the tunic.
Do you know which unit the tunic represents?
Old 23-08-10, 05:38 PM

Thanks Bill A

yes origanol it belong to a 42nd RHC, but becase ther were no badges or collars on it is hart to say. and i lost contact with the seller. I'm working now on a 72nd highlanders tunic see photos. the maker of the tunic is THE MARK WORKMAN CO. MANUFACTURERS 1915 MONTREAL. the kilt is mckanzie tartan ww1 era. tag is hart to read ?91?. If you have more in formation abouth them i olso like to here. The rest of the photo's are on a other computer cane send leather if you like.

Olso a question is, cane a 72nd highlander inlisted man cane have a 4years overseas strips on his tunic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seaforthkilt.2.jpg (17.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg seaforthkilt.7.jpg (17.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 23-08-10, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Hans, The 72nd Seaforths did not go overseas until April of 1916. Given the service chevrons were awarded for every 12 months service overseas it is likely the most service chevrons that an original other rank would qualify for would be 2. There is a chance a fellow may have transfered in from another battalion and could qualify for more.
The chevrons would only be blue, as the unit did not qualify for the red chevron for service before the end of 1914.
Old 23-08-10, 07:49 PM

Default Bombers cloth badge

By coincidence I picked up this postcard last week. The soldier is definately Canadian and I think it is an exploding grenade above his chevron. Is this a bomber, trench mortarman or a Sapper?

Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian bomber postcard (1).jpg (42.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian bomber postcard (2).jpg (46.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 23-08-10, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stephen, That card is from a series of patriotics issued during the war. Without seeing the cap badge it is difficult to say for sure. My thinking is that he is a bomber from an infantry battalion, but that is speculative.
Old 23-08-10, 08:08 PM

You're probably right Bill,look closely at the collar, you can see a faint "C/?" and he seems to be wearing a maple leaf cap badge.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-08-10, 11:39 PM

Default Bbadge

Is it not C/10?
Old 24-08-10, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Good eyes Ed. With the battalion established, the grenade patch is for a bomber.