British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-03-19, 06:22 PM

Wherever they came from I'd give my eye teeth to examine them in detail!!

Interesting that this is the second set of Calico Printers samples to have surfaced recently. I trawled a lot of archives to see if anything like this was held but with no luck.

Jon
Old 18-03-19, 06:35 PM

All I can say is "Blimey"! Wouldn't it be excellent if the intact volumes could be scanned, printed and published, rather than torn apart by a dealer and sold piecemeal.
Old 18-03-19, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Thanks for the link, Jerry.

Simon.
You're welcome Simon.

Always glad to help if I can.

Jerry
Old 18-03-19, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
All I can say is "Blimey"! Wouldn't it be excellent if the intact volumes could be scanned, printed and published, rather than torn apart by a dealer and sold piecemeal.
That, Sir, is a brilliant idea.

Lets hope that someone on here knows the lady who has them, and puts that idea into her head.
Old 18-03-19, 10:49 PM

They looked very firmly affixed indeed. So if removed, would surely be damaged. Leaving aside the cultural and intellectual vandalism of busting up the books.
Old 19-03-19, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up Antiques Roadshow

I was pleased to see this collection on Antiques Roadshow and surprised at it's value. I have an almost identical (possibly larger) collection from the same source. I received the collection from my late father who was responsible for the decommissioning of Broad Oak Printworks in Accrington following it closure in 1969 / 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
The implication was that her father had collected them but there was also photographic evidence that he had served in the Far East during the war.

As always, the Antique Roadshow Militaria expert made sweeping generalisations without going into any great depth. It would have been interesting to know if the father had worked for or had some connection with the Calico Printers as it might have explained how he had acquired the pattern book.
Old 19-03-19, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig.h View Post
I was pleased to see this collection on Antiques Roadshow and surprised at it's value. I have an almost identical (possibly larger) collection from the same source. I received the collection from my late father who was responsible for the decommissioning of Broad Oak Printworks in Accrington following it closure in 1969 / 70.
I assume you will get some messages asking to sell.

It would be great to see the entire collection scanned in and published.

Jerry
Old 19-03-19, 04:06 PM

ThebigH,

PM sent.

Jon
Old 19-03-19, 04:15 PM

Hi... I'm the lady with the badges, from Sunday's programme . I actually joined the forum last August, when I had it in mind to find out more about the two albums. Thanks for all the interest, it's been good reading the thread(s).

Just wanted to say that in addition to my Uncle, it's possible that dad acquired the badges himself through his work, since it occurred to me after filming that he spent time at Tootal textiles in the late 70s/80s. There's no way of confirming this now though.

Very happy with the valuation... there have been some mentions of over 1000 badges in total (here and other forums) but there are around 450 in total. I did a rough count! I like the idea of somehow making images of them available, and it's possible we'll approach a museum (needs to be discussed with family).

I wonder how many of these kinds of books are circulating? A couple of other members here seem to have some too?
Old 19-03-19, 04:30 PM

Batman3,

Private Message sent.

Jon
Old 19-03-19, 05:13 PM

Thebig.h and Batman 3 - The archive you have is incredible. If Postwarden has emailed you, he has incredible knowledge and has just published the definitive work on the subject of Badges worn on Battledress. His advice would be priceless. It would be great to see the albums reproduced, and it looks like you have a market waiting to purchase any books you produce singularly or collaboratively.
Great that they exist in a complete state - they would loose a whole lot of contextual value if split up.
I wonder if your sets of albums are identical? or perhaps different if put together at different times. What a wonderful story they would tell.
There are plenty of us who would be interested in copies of any resultant publications.
Thanks for sharing
Mike
Old 20-03-19, 10:11 PM

Wow! I’ve just seen this thread and watched the link Jerry provided, (thanks Jerry!).what an amazing find indeed, I was salivating at some of these scarce examples, Cornwall home guard et al! It’d be a real travesty if these fell into the hands of some greedy unscrupulous dealer.
Old 21-03-19, 07:58 AM

They need to be kept together, it would be a great shame if the badges were removed and sold off individually by a dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhf79 View Post
Wow! I’ve just seen this thread and watched the link Jerry provided, (thanks Jerry!).what an amazing find indeed, I was salivating at some of these scarce examples, Cornwall home guard et al! It’d be a real travesty if these fell into the hands of some greedy unscrupulous dealer.
Old 07-04-19, 12:19 PM
Glosters Cloth

Dear All,
I don't feel it appropriate to contact either 'thebig.h' or 'batman3' myself as I'm sure they have been inundated with PM's, so can anyone tell the Forum where we are regarding the owners decisions/intentions regarding the possibility of publishing or making available the images they have?
Many thanks,
Ken
Old 12-04-19, 09:14 AM

Ken,

I have been in touch with both the owners of the cloth badges and am now discussing with them the possibility of recording them in some form. It's looking positive. I will report back when I know more.

Jon